Contributor
Granddaughter leaves for college this coming Sunday. Her 18th birthday I the 7th. Canany of y'all think of anything I can send along besides gift cards that will make her room 'fun' and or homey?? I got no help on the mom forum. I should have come here first,as I got no help from them,just said rooms are small, well I know that!!! Y'all actually TRY to help!!! Thanks!!!
Valued Contributor

Re: Off topic,but need help!!!

College is so different now than when I went long ago. I went 1600 miles from home and my mom shipped a footlocker with my stuff and it did not arrive until several weeks after I did. I had to go buy a bed pillow. Felt weird to be carrying a pillow on the city bus... Many people had marker boards on their doors for people to leave messages. Maybe a flameless candle or reed diffuser? A couple of little boxes for the odds and ends that collect on a dresser/desk? A cute lanyard or ID holder (maybe Vera or something along those lines)?

Regular Contributor

Maybe some super cushy bedding pieces. Nothing helps get through lonely days away from home like something to snuggle up with. Dorms are notoriously bad with lighting so if that is appropriate, how about some lighting? Some storage types of cubes might be in order because there's never enough storage in a dorm. Also, something she can lock if there's no lockable storage some organizers or lockable storage might be in order.

Esteemed Contributor

Living and renting to college students I'm familiar with this age group - is she traveling to college via car or air. (if by air - you can ship a box to her after she arrives)

Ideas to make a dorm room more friendly - a small fluffy rug for next to her bed. A teddy bear - a bright colored bed comforter - new blanket - decoration for her desk (family picture/silk flower arrangement - bright color sheets - decorative pillows for her bed - a board game to play with a friend/roommate on a rainy weekend = checkers, etc.

I hope this helps to get your creative juices working!{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Have fun with it

Respected Contributor

It's a tough question if you don't know what the dorm rules are(example, some do not allow pop corn poppers or hot plates in the room). That being said, consider sending a care package with her favorite snacks that will be waiting for her when she arrives. Some random ideas are: one of those pillows that serves as a backrest when you are reading or studying in bed...a folding tv tray would be great for holding snacks or books....a soft comfy throw that matches her bed spread....a pretty bucket stocked with nice soaps and moisturizer and a pair of flip flops for the shower....a soft bath robe....a clip on book light...that's all I can think of.

Poodlepet

Honored Contributor

And maybe include bunches of those 3M wall hooks so she can personalize the walls and not leave any damage when it comes time to remove the hooks.

Respected Contributor

I try to send things my daughter will need and use. Those tiny rooms fill up quickly with clutter.

A robe, flip flops for the shower. Cute stationery or blank note cards and stamps. A small sewing kit for lost buttons.

Snacks in small packages, they cost a fortune on campus.

Trusted Contributor

I would send along a perfect bowl that can be used for cereal or even heating in the microwave for soup (it would hold a can of soup). My choice is a fiesta ware gusto bowl. Many colors to choose, and it is heavy duty and comfortable to hold if sitting on the bed or a chair eating. It is big, but not too big. Good for popcorn which is a college staple! If there will be a coffee maker in the room, a coffee mug is also needed. You can choose her favorite color/colors or choose the school colors.

Gusto bowl:

Fiesta 24-oz. Gusto Bowl

Java Mug:

Fiesta 12-oz. Java Mug

Or, maybe the Jumbo Cup

(Which can also be used as a bowl. This is larger than the java mug, but it is smaller than the gusto bowl)

Fiesta 18-oz. Jumbo Cup

Contributor

How about a Vera Bradley throw? I never realized they made them until I received one as a gift from my last year's class (I'm a teacher). She may not be the type, but the prints vary greatly and they are incredibly soft- and for a freshman especially- very comforting. They also are oversized for a throw, and wash beautifully (although I'd tell her to do that at home- you don't want to over dry them).The Q offered some that sold out quickly- try the VB site or Zappos.com for quick delivery. Pricey- $49.00, but unless she's a real tomboy, I think she'll love it!

Good luck! What a wonderful Grandma you are!

Honored Contributor

MONEY! GIFT Cards! Cash! Those rooms are so tiny, and kids are excited and running every which way! They aren't much concerned with stuff--but they always need CASH! Books, pizza, laundry, snacks with the other kids, movies, all that costs money!My aunt always sent me money and every time she "treated" me I thought of her! A gas card if she has a car would be great.