Respected Contributor

Just saw this on the news, be careful when cleaning your BBQ grill with a wire brush!!!

Some lady took a bite of a burger and didn't know she had swallowed a piece of wire from the brush. Her throat started to hurt and they went to the hospital. She had to have surgery to remove it. Could have been an old brush, so either get a new brush or use some other method to clean your grill!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Just saw this on the news, be careful when cleaning your BBQ grill with a wire brush!!!

That poor lady. I can't imagine how scary that must have been.
Super Contributor

Re: Just saw this on the news, be careful when cleaning your BBQ grill with a wire brush!!!

I took my husband's wire brush away a year ago after hearing locally about a young man who spent two months in the hospital from ingesting one of these metal things in his chicken. There are better ways to clean a grill than with a wire brush.

Super Contributor

Maybe a scrub Daddy???
Super Contributor

I had heard about stories like this a couple of years ago, and immediately threw my husband's wire brush away. He uses crumpled up aluminum foil now. Works just as well and safe.

Super Contributor

On 7/30/2014 expatgal said:

I had heard about stories like this a couple of years ago, and immediately threw my husband's wire brush away. He uses crumpled up aluminum foil now. Works just as well and safe.

Great idea! What we women do not do for our husbandsSmile

Valued Contributor

On 7/30/2014 Barbarainnc said:

Some lady took a bite of a burger and didn't know she had swallowed a piece of wire from the brush. Her throat started to hurt and they went to the hospital. She had to have surgery to remove it. Could have been an old brush, so either get a new brush or use some other method to clean your grill!!

This exact same thing happened to my daughter last summer. Surgery was painful but the wire caught in her throat was much worse. Thankfully the wire didn't travel to her stomach or her intestines.

It is so important to listen to this warning

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the heads up. I just bought a new one last week. Our old one was so old and was using aluminum foil which worked quite well. I think I will go back to that method. Not taking any chances.

Valued Contributor

On 7/30/2014 expatgal said:

My husband has been using crumpled up aluminum foil for years now. Who knew he was so far ahead of his time. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Maria

Super Contributor

We always put tinfoil on a dirty grill, shiny side down, then crank the grill as high as we can,put the cover on for about 10 minutes...when it cools off, all the gunk will be ash under the foil, then crumple the foil and just brush it off....