Contributor

My friend's amazing baked sweet potato salad

I tried this salad recipe over the weekend. It was fantastic! very elegant and sophisticated salad. The vanilla-maple vinaigrette was simply succulent. I really recommend it to all sweet potato fans out thereSmiley Wink

BAKED SWEET POTATO SALAD WITH VANILLA MAPLE VINAIGRETTE

Sweet Potato Salad

Honored Contributor

Re: My friend's amazing baked sweet potato salad

This sounds so good! I love sweet potatoes of any kind; DH and kids - not as much! But I'll bet they will all eat this. I'll try it and let you know. Thanks for posting!

Respected Contributor

I clicked on the link and got a warning that it was an unsafe site. Can you please copy the recipe in a post? Sounds delicious.

Honored Contributor

Ingredients

• SALAD:
  • 2 large sweet potatoes
  • 4 slices double smoked bacon
  • 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 cup celery, diced
  • 2-3 green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
  • 1/4 cup your choice of nuts, lightly crushed
  • 1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
  • 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
  • DRESSING:
  • 1 vanilla bean, split in half and seeded, seeds reserved
  • 2 Tbsp hot water
  • 3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
  • 1 shallot, finely chopped
  • 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil

Instructions

• 1. Preheat oven or grill to 450F
  • 2. Roast sweet potatoes for 45 to 60 minutes, or longer depending on size, until just cooked and tender but not mushy when pierced with a wooden skewer. Let cool slightly to handle, peel, and cut into bite-size pieces, 1 to 1 1/2 inches. Cool completely.
  • 3. Grill or bake bacon slices until crispy. Dice in 1/2 to 3/4 inch chunks.
  • 4. In a large bowl, combine sweet potato, bacon, red pepper, celery, green onions, nuts, parsley, rosemary, and thyme. Toss well as set aside.
  • 5. Place vanilla bean and seeds in a bowl with the hot water. Let sit 10-20 minutes.
  • 6. Whisk together the maple syrup, vinegar, shallot, and mustard. While continually whisking, drizzle in the olive oil to form an emulsion. Whisk in the vanilla mixture.
  • 7. Pour the vinaigrette over the sweet potato salad and mix well to coat. Serve immediately.
Contributor

Sounds like a winner!

Contributor

On 7/28/2014 santorini said:

I clicked on the link and got a warning that it was an unsafe site. Can you please copy the recipe in a post? Sounds delicious.Smile

Sorry Santorini, the website should be ok, its just a personal recipe blog. Strange :-~~

Fun fact, your nickname is santorini, and Im travelling to Santorini for the first time next monthSmiley Wink

Contributor

On 7/28/2014 beach-mom said:

This sounds so good! I love sweet potatoes of any kind; DH and kids - not as much! But I'll bet they will all eat this. I'll try it and let you know. Thanks for posting!

Looking forward to your comments Beach-mom!! Smiley Wink

Contributor

On 7/28/2014 RespectLife said:

Ingredients

• SALAD:
  • 2 large sweet potatoes
  • 4 slices double smoked bacon
  • 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 cup celery, diced
  • 2-3 green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
  • 1/4 cup your choice of nuts, lightly crushed
  • 1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
  • 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
  • DRESSING:
  • 1 vanilla bean, split in half and seeded, seeds reserved
  • 2 Tbsp hot water
  • 3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
  • 1 shallot, finely chopped
  • 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil

Instructions

• 1. Preheat oven or grill to 450F
  • 2. Roast sweet potatoes for 45 to 60 minutes, or longer depending on size, until just cooked and tender but not mushy when pierced with a wooden skewer. Let cool slightly to handle, peel, and cut into bite-size pieces, 1 to 1 1/2 inches. Cool completely.
  • 3. Grill or bake bacon slices until crispy. Dice in 1/2 to 3/4 inch chunks.
  • 4. In a large bowl, combine sweet potato, bacon, red pepper, celery, green onions, nuts, parsley, rosemary, and thyme. Toss well as set aside.
  • 5. Place vanilla bean and seeds in a bowl with the hot water. Let sit 10-20 minutes.
  • 6. Whisk together the maple syrup, vinegar, shallot, and mustard. While continually whisking, drizzle in the olive oil to form an emulsion. Whisk in the vanilla mixture.
  • 7. Pour the vinaigrette over the sweet potato salad and mix well to coat. Serve immediately.

Thanks RespectLife!

Trusted Contributor

Is double smoked bacon something you can purchase in the grocery store or will regular bacon be ok? I really am anxious to try this!
Honored Contributor

I'd never make it. Too many ingredients. But I'd love it if somone made it and served to me.