Honored Contributor

I saw this recipe a few weeks ago on The Chew. I am giving it as written.

2 pounds Bing Cherries, pricked several time with a fork and put in a nonreactive container

3 cups red wine vinegar
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 T Kosher salt
2 strips orange zest
1 t black peppercorns
2 cinnamon sticks
1 T coriander seeds
1 bay leaf

Mix ingredients (except cherries) in a nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Pour over cherries (they should be completely submerged). When cool cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month.

I did half a recipe. Instead of pricking the cherries I took the stems off and pitted them. I used tonight in a salad by cutting them in 1/2. I put avocado and chicken in salad. It was very good.

Trusted Contributor
Your use of them in a chicken salad sounds delicious! How did they use the pickled cherries on The Chew? BTW, I recently read this in a blog as an easy way to pit cherries if you don't have a pitter: place cherries on top of a bottle and poke it with a chopstick-- the pits will fall to the bottom and since it’s over a bottle the juice will also, saving you from a big mess!
Honored Contributor
On 7/28/2014 vabreeze said: Your use of them in a chicken salad sounds delicious! How did they use the pickled cherries on The Chew? BTW, I recently read this in a blog as an easy way to pit cherries if you don't have a pitter: place cherries on top of a bottle and poke it with a chopstick-- the pits will fall to the bottom and since it’s over a bottle the juice will also, saving you from a big mess!

On the Chew they had the stems on and were a garnish on a plate for a sandwich. I do have a cherry pitter because I use cherries often in fruit salads when they are in season.

Honored Contributor

ick......

Contributor

Thank-you for the recipe.I also saw Iron Chef Michael make Pickled Cherries on the Chew.But he didn' t give the recipe. You had to go to their web-site.I tried the chop stick & straw method to re- move the pits from Cherries.But it didn't work for me. A Cherry Pitter is the best for removing pits from Cherries.