Super Contributor
It really irritates me when I'm checking out at the grocery store and I'm putting my items on the conveyor belt and the person behind me starts putting their items on also. It happened again today, my cart was still over half full. I probably should've said "please wait until I'm finished before you start putting your items on". But I didn't, I just kind of gave her a partial dirty look. Every time her items came up to where I was standing I just pushed them back towards her and said I'm not finished yet. Does this happen to you and how do you handle it?
Respected Contributor

Re: Do you think this is rude?

That is kind of rude. Usually when someone's behind you in line, they just grab one of those bar separaters or they wait till the conveyor belt is empty enough to grab one of those bar separaters.

Did this lady say sorry to you when you told her that you weren't finished yet?

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

Wow, I have to say that I've never had somebody do that. It does seem kind of obnoxious. I always put one of those divider things at the beginning AND at the end of my stuff (too bad most people don't do that, as I think that is kind of inconsiderate). Anyway, I've never still had a bunch of stuff to put up there from my cart and had somebody just start jamming their stuff up there.

I'd probably just look at them and say - oh, I don't know what I'd say. I tend to be polite until it's time to not be polite. I just think some people are totally clueless and not only that, everything is about them, as though nobody else even exists in their little world.

Super Contributor

Hmmm, never happened to me, and neither have I ever done it.

Esteemed Contributor

Are you the lady in front of me with the small town chatter with the cashier while I'm on my lunch hour? The one who chats endlessly about Cousin Ethel and Aunt Esther? And then the cashier starts to chat with you about some product you bought that takes another few minutes?

You know the one with her man in tow who does nothing. Doesn't place anything on the belt, doesn't say a word. Just stands behind the cart and does nothing but observe? This woman doesn't move, doesn't move her cart, the man doesn't move, etc.

Yes, I would be the impatient customer behind you trying to move the line along.

Esteemed Contributor

as a former cashier I hated that....and it happened often...the groceries would get mixed in and the people would be saying that's mine...not hers...etc....it was a mess....

by the way...putting the separators in place is fine....but if the belt is rolling the groceries will still come up in the way...and if I shut the belt off....I can't reach all the products...

to answer your question...yes, it is rude...

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine anyone doing that on purpose. I'm guessing the person was distracted & did not realize you had lots more groceries in your cart.

Super Contributor

Never happens to me.
Honored Contributor

How to handle? Easy:

-) Take one item & place it on the belt near the cashier to 'stop' the belt.
-) Take another item (preferably large) & place it on the belt @ the end of the belt.
-) Turn to them & say, "I'm going to be a while...I have a TON of coupons!" (I don't use coupons)

You have sidsmom's personal guarantee this works!!

Honored Contributor

I have never had that happen to me, nor have I ever seen it happen .... yes, that was quite rude! {#emotions_dlg.angry}

I would be polite, but firm ..... as in "Excuse me, but I'm not finished putting my groceries on the conveyor belt ... could you please wait a minute?"

Or something to that effect ...