Honored Contributor

Looking for a lovely dessert for two that can travel...

I'm going to a friend's for lunch tomorrow and promised I'd bring dessert. It'a about a 20 minute drive and our temps are in the triple-digits. Also, she's a single lady and it's just the two of us for lunch, so I don't want to bring a dessert with enough leftovers for a family.

I'd love some ideas.

Thank you Smile

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Looking for a lovely dessert for two that can travel...

Do U have a GREAT cupcake shop where U live? I mean one that makes bakes cupcakes daily with REAL ingredients? Not talking Costco, Walmart, but a great bakery that specializes in cupcakes? If so, stop in and buy a couple to take.

Trusted Contributor

Slices of pound cake or angel cake with a side of assorted berries which have a bit of sugar & liquor of some sort is very nice & easy.
Respected Contributor

Some sort of cobbler? You could make one in an 8x8 pan. Easy and should travel well.

When you get to her town, you could pick up a pint of vanilla ice cream at the local market to go with it.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

Okay, those are all excellent suggestions. There are a number of cupcake shops in my area. I've never shopped in one because I usually do my own baking, but in this case, I think I might make an exception. If I bake my own, I'll have to guess what she might like. If I stop and buy them I can get a variety.

Thank you. When my brain goes on strike it's nice to have my forum friends here to help out.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I think fresh fruit would be a better choice. Juicy sweet peaches, berries, cut a melon open. It's better to eat a nice piece of sugary fruit than a naughty cupcake....Smile

Honored Contributor

On 7/24/2014 Lucky Charm said:

I think fresh fruit would be a better choice. Juicy sweet peaches, berries, cut a melon open. It's better to eat a nice piece of sugary fruit than a naughty cupcake....Smile

Okay. That's a good idea also {#emotions_dlg.crying}

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

On 7/24/2014 house_cat said:

Okay, those are all excellent suggestions. There are a number of cupcake shops in my area. I've never shopped in one because I usually do my own baking, but in this case, I think I might make an exception. If I bake my own, I'll have to guess what she might like. If I stop and buy them I can get a variety.

Thank you. When my brain goes on strike it's nice to have my forum friends here to help out.

Yes, homemade is always great. But if you have a very special cupcake shop, one that specializes in making special, tasty cupcakes, & gets lots of raves, then this is a great option. No baking in the hot, hot summer.

I love fruit, but, sometimes it's nice to have a cupcakeSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

This is the actual text exchange I had with her today. I guess I'm stopping of cupcakes.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Get a red velvet one for me Smiley Happy