Respected Contributor

Lunch menu for Thursday.....PC Lamb Shanks with Fava Beans and Greek Quinoa Salad

Why is it when we become a bit older we require much less sleep?

I am glad cooking is something I really enjoy, because there is only so much reading and tv one could watch in the early morning hours. (Many days my husband gets up before I do, and he needs even less sleep).

Today our lunch will be pressure cooked lamb shanks in a light Greek tomato based sauce with various spices. Also placing fava beans into the pc for a fast cook when the lamb is ready.

Hubby loves quinoa so I will also prepare a warm quinoa Greek Mediterranean salad for a side dish.

I baked a fresh bread and just removed it hot from the oven so we will have plenty to dip into the sauce when enjoying the lamb shanks with fava beans in tomato sauce.

We are invited out for dinner tonight but we decided to order something really light, like cup of soup and a salad.

Yes Jules if you are reading this we will save you a plate, but what are you planning for dinner tonight?

Regular Contributor

Re: Lunch menu for Thursday.....PC Lamb Shanks with Fava Beans and Greek Quinoa Salad

I need an address, lunch sound fabulous!!! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Re: Lunch menu for Thursday.....PC Lamb Shanks with Fava Beans and Greek Quinoa Salad

I am a fan of quinoa, too, adore. Set an extra place for me, please.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Respected Contributor

Good Morning Classylady and my sweet dear Goldie76,

Places are set for the both of you, so just follow your nose right to my front doorSmiley Happy.

Wishing you were both here to enjoy lunch with us, and I hope you each have a lovely day, and good eats too!

Honored Contributor

Adore, I am just starting to use quinoa. DH didn't like my first version (directions from the pkg!) LOL He said it had no flavor. I thought it was...ok, but agreed it needed help.

If you don't mind, how do you prepare yours and what ingredients make it Greek? TIA

Trusted Contributor

I'm learning to like quinoa although I admit it has been a learning process. At first, I didn't care for the texture. A couple of things -

ALWAYS rinse very very well before cooking, even if your package says pre-washed. If you don't, the grains have a coating that will give a bitter taste.

There are different types of grain - black, red, and the regular (white?). Each has its own distinct taste - I like to combine the three when I cook them. You can buy the tri-grain quinoa.

And I always boil my quinoa in vegetable broth. Again, it adds flavor. I usually use plain water to which I have added a tablespoon of "Better Than Boullion" vegetable base.

Incidently, I use the same procedure when I cook lentils which I use in salads. Gives them a wonderful flavor.

That "Better Than Boullion" also comes in chicken and vegetable base and although I have never used the beef base for quinoa or lentils, I have used the chicken base but I like the vegetable base best.

Then - to make a salad, just add any number of things (cut in small pieces, makes everything blend better) - tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados, roasted red or yellow peppers, scallions, kalamata olives, feta cheese, asparagus, etc etc - salt, peppers, and just a splash of lemon vinegar.

Respected Contributor

Hi RespectLife,

Here is the recipe I use and I prefer the tri colored quinoa.

What makes it tasty is flavored broths and herbs as well as

diced scallions, diced onions, and other diced veggies.

What makes it Greek are the tasty Greek ingredients, but for the spices you do not have to use Greek spices, although the Greek spices from Greece are more pronounced in Mediterranean flavors than the spices we have here. They are also readily available in most supermarkets, and elsewhere.

Greek Mediterranean Quinoa Salad - Serves 6

Ingredients:

• 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
  • 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
  • If you wish you can also add some grape or cherry tomatoes.
  • 1/4 cup green onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup Greek Kalamata Olives (remove pits)
  • 1/4 cup red onion, diced
  • 3 ounces Greek feta cheese

Dressing:

Directions:

In a sauce pan bring stock to a boil.

Stir in quinoa, reduce heat to medium low and cover.

Cook 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.

Stir vegetables and cheese into cooled quinoa.

Whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over the

quinoa mixture and toss well to incorporate all the flavors.

This can be served hot or cold.

Enjoy RespectLife because quinoa always needs flavored broths, herbs, spices,

veggies, and other flavorings, to jazz up the taste.

Honored Contributor

Thank you both, gonnab and adore!

I bought the tri color from Trader Joes and I liked it much better than the all 'white' one I bought at the grocery store. That one came out like cream of wheat! Yuck!

I can't wait to try my hand at jazzing it up. Thank you both again for the time you took to respond. It is greatly appreciated! Probably by my DH the most cuz I told him I wasn't giving up on quinoa!

Respected Contributor

Your final post made me smile Respect Life.

I know you will really love quinoa now especially after jazzing it up with whatever your heart desires.

Your hubby will also love the quinoa dishes you will now prepare.

Like my dearly departed Mother used to say "practice makes perfect".

Quinoa is so very healthy for everyone, and better than potatoes and rice since it is enriched with nutrients that care for our bodies.

Should you need anymore information just give a holler.

Respected Contributor

Anytime you have lamb on the menu, I'll be there. I can tell you love to cook and I bet your DH is loving your cooking.