Super Contributor

German Chocolate frosting mix

Does anyone remember the German Chocolate frosting mix that used to come in a box and you mixed the dry ingredients with some butter over the stove? I have used the kind that comes in the cans, but it doesn't taste the same, anyone know if the old fashion mix is still available? I have not seen it in years

Honored Contributor

Re: German Chocolate frosting mix

I don't know as I have never used it. Here is a recipe that Lavendersage posted for German chocolate cake & frosting that may help.

German Chocolate Cake

¼ cup cocoa powder

½ cup boiling water

1 tsp. vanilla

1 cup butter (2 sticks)

2 ¼ cups sugar

4 eggs

2 cups all purpose flour

1 tsp. baking soda

½ tsp. salt

1 cup buttermilk

Frosting

1 cup evaporated milk

1 cup sugar

1 egg, beaten

½ cup butter (1 stick)

1 tsp. vanilla

1 1/3 cup flaked coconut

1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 3 9-inch round cake pans or a 13 x 9 pan if you don't want the layers.

Mix the cocoa and boiling water in a measuring cup. When cool, add vanilla to cocoa mixture. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Add the cocoa vanilla mixture.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the creamed mixture. Pour batter into cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool on wire racks while making frosting.

For the frosting, mix together the milk, sugar, egg, and butter in sauce pan over medium heat. Stir constantly until thickened, about 12 minutes. It will become a light amber color. Remove from heat, add vanilla, coconut and pecans. Allow the cake to cool before frosting. Frost only the top of each layer.

Honored Contributor

Ooh, I love German Chocolate Cake! Looks like a nice recipe. I don't work with buttermilk but I would definitely try the frosting recipe.

New Contributor

I have a recipe for brownies that used the dry ingredients and mixed it to the brownie mix. Have not been able to make it anymore since they quit making it.
Super Contributor

Oh my. The recipes of lavendersage and her pictures are missed very much. I copied this recipe. I do not care for the canned frostings either. Thank you for re-positing it.