1 ½ tsp. peppermint extract

2 Tbsp. milk or sour cream

3-4 C. powered sugar

Chocolate Ganache:

¾ C. chocolate chips

½ C. heavy whipping cream

Andes Mints for decoration

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 3 8-inch pans. I prefer to line the bottoms of my pans with foil or parchment paper for easy removal.

2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.

3. In a large bowl, whisk your eggs, oil buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla extract together until smooth.

4. Stir in cake mix.

5. Pour equal amount of batter into each prepared pan and use a spatula to spread evenly. Bake for 17-22 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean. (If you are only making two layers, the cake will need 20-25 minutes in the oven.)

6. Let cakes cool.

7. Green Filling: Beat butter for 2 minutes. Add peppermint extract and milk and beat again. Slowly add in powdered sugar until you get your desired consistency.

8. Chocolate Buttercream: Beat butter for 2 minutes. Add cocoa powder, peppermint extract and milk and beat again. Slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.

9. Chocolate ganache: Place chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream in a microwave proof bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and continue to microwave in 10 second increments until smooth.

10. Assemble your cake by placing one layer of chocolate cake on your cake stand, frost with green filling, then another layer of cake, then the rest of your green filling, then your last layer of cake, and then frost the top and sides in chocolate buttercream.

11. Use Andes Mint candies to decorate the bottom.

12. Pour your ganache carefully over the top of the cake and let it drip down the sides. Finish with chopped Andes Mints on top.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lizzy Early's Andes Mint Cake

This sounds (and looks) good, FHG. Let us know when you make it.....we will head your way.
Honored Contributor

What a pretty cake!

I bet it's delicious...

Honored Contributor

Oh boy...I just drooled all over my keyboard! Thanks for the post and the pic too!

I love seeing the finished product so I can try to recreate it!

Valued Contributor

Saw this in my email yesterday & ""pinned"" it for later to try!

Respected Contributor

Wow, that just looks delicious.
Trusted Contributor

I might try this as a cupcake - green minty buttercream as filling, top of cupcake dipped in the ganache, frosting piped on top and topped with an Andes mint.

I've been on a cupcake roll for a while now - everything to me turns into a cupcake!

Super Contributor

thanks for the idea of a cupcake. I gave up on layer cakes years ago. If it is not in a 9x13 inch pan, I don't do it. but this sounds fantastic

Trusted Contributor

On 7/26/2014 chips said:

thanks for the idea of a cupcake. I gave up on layer cakes years ago. If it is not in a 9x13 inch pan, I don't do it. but this sounds fantastic

I picked up this neat little hole punch for cupcakes somewhere and my imagination has run wild. I don't do layer cakes much anymore either - a cupcake is a more manageable portion for DH. A little bit of filling in the cupcakes makes it feel more like a piece of layer cake. I may eat one out of each batch of 24 to test the flavors, but the rest go to him and the neighbors!