Respected Contributor

Putting up Tomatoes last night at 9:30

A family friend gave us a cooler full of tomatoes. We put them in boiling water, peeled them, let them cool alittle and put them in containers for the freezer. Mom will make soup or tomato sauce with them in the winter. Glad that job is done. Smile

He also gave us some green tomatoes, bell pepper, squash and hot peppers. Oh I forgot the blueberries. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Trusted Contributor

Re: Putting up Tomatoes last night at 9:30

Your neighbor sounds a real sweetie.

Our tomatoes haven't even begun to ripen yet. We have had some yellow squash, green peppers, and some zucchini from our garden, but that's about it. The corn looks good this year....so far, anyway (at least the critters haven't gotten to it yet). Our blueberry plants really produced well this year...we're still getting some berries.

I want a fresh tomato. When the tomatoes are in season, I take a salt shaker, go up to the garden, find a good place to sit and eat tomatoes. A good rub on my shorts is all that's needed for cleaning. Dad and I used to head out to the garden once it got a little coolish toward evening and eat fresh tomatoes. I do that with rhubarb, too....love to eat the rhubarb fresh out of the garden, but I don't like rhubarb cooked or baked in anything.

Did I ever mention tomato powder? We have a food dehydrator and when I use tomatoes in anything and have to slip the skins off, I save the skins and dry them as best I can with paper towels. Then I throw them into the dehydrator for tomato powder. It's good stuff. And I don't have to throw anything away.

I really want a fresh tomato now.

Super Contributor

Sounds so tasty......fresh from the garden tomatoes are one of the joys of summer..... Thanks for the tip on using the tomato skins.......
Respected Contributor

Oh My, we threw away all of the skins. We'll save them next time. I'll have to look for my food dehydrator in the attic. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

I'll tell my Mom when she gets home. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

What a bounty your received. I'm glad you are able to take advantage of fresh food and know how to preserve it.

We grow a huge garden, and put up lots of food. We always have more than I can handle, and it is very hard to give it away, probably because we live in the country and everyone grows a garden of some size. Even when my husband takes it to work in town, it sometimes doesn't get snatched up.

We don't have any ripe tomatoes yet, but getting geared up for the onslaught to come! will be making lots of salsa to can this year, as well as trying to make sauce for the first time. Usually just make juice, but really overstocked on that as of now.

Valued Contributor

I'm agree with PamelaSue72, nothing as good as picking a tomato right from the bush & eating it fresh with a little salt! I planted Brandy Wines (the best), Early girl, Big boys & Italian tomatoes (plums) and several different "grape" & "cherry" tomatoes! I have been making sauce with the bigger size (first time trying it & I love doing it), eating tomato sandwiches almost everyday, giving co-workers & a few people in town bags of them every week!

I also planted about a dozen different peppers! Giving away most of them. Have had yellow squash, scalloped squash and zucchini but they are about over with here. Would set a basket of them inside the General Store where I live for the ones that want/need fresh veggies.

Also planted several rows of Zipper peas, Italian green beans & a row of pinkeye purple hull peas and a row of Speckled butter beans! And had a small row of okra!! Very busy this time of year but it is all worth the effort!

Honored Contributor

when i make homemade tomato paste i just use the skins also. cook the tomatoes down with a little bit of butter, salt, and pepper......and when they are all soft i just use a hand blender and blend the mixture, skins and all. there is a lot of flavor in the skins.

i also just freeze tomatoes whole for use in stews and soups and casseroles. throw them into a ziploc bag and freeze. when you take them out to use the skins usually just peel right off when they begin to thaw.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Good for you. I don't can, but great idea, and how healthy is that!! Enjoy, my grandmother used to can. Not many do it anymore that I know of, but good for you!!