Valued Contributor

What's cooking at your house this Jumping July?

/>Afternoon all,</p> <p>We were hammered last night with rain, winds up to 80 mph, some had hail. Trees are down. Electricity was out for 7,500 people with no street stop lights working. We just had power back on about 2 hours ago.</p> <p>Funny how we depend so much on electricity and forget about it till it isn't there. We couldn't even shower as we have a well.  But all is okay now and we didn't have any trees down.</p> <p>Thinking I'll put the ribs in the crockpot for dinner tonight. Sounds good to me. I will make what I call easy cheesy potatoes. Mine own concoction, just cubed, boiled potatoes, add butter, cheese and cream. We like them and so easy.</p> <p>We have a power washer coming this evening. He stopped by this morning with chemicals that take off the rust on the patio, pavement, light posts, etc. He couldn't finish due to our lack of water but what he did looks good already.</p> <p>Best to all, enjoy the day.</p>

Honored Contributor

Re: What's cooking at your house this Jumping July?

Happy July! Glad you made it through the storm. Enjoy your ribs. I think that's what we will be having Friday.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Valued Contributor

Morning,

Outside is looking better. Rust came off the driveway and light posts. Will have him return to hit the sidewalk and patio again.

I made the Éclair Cake over the week end and it was such a hit. People just drool over it. Had one fellow say, I'm not a dessert person but that was good. There are many versions out there and some call it a Cream Puff Cake. Whatever, it is so tasty.

Eclair Cake

Ingredients
  • Crust:
  • 1 square butter or margarine (1/2 cup)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup water
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 Tablespoon Sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • Filling:
  • 1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
  • 2 small packages vanilla instant pudding
  • 3 cup milk
  • 8 oz container cool whip for top
  • chocolate syrup for drizzling on top, optional
  • Strawberry or banana slices to garnish on top, optional

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On low heat in a medium saucepan, melt the butter on low. Add water and bring to a boil. Turn off the burner and add flour, salt, sugar and mix into a softball. Let cool for 5 minutes.
  2. Add eggs one at a time and mix in with a fork until incorporated. Spray a jelly roll pan or a 9×13 inch pan with cooking spray. Spread the mixture out on the pan. If using a 9×13, slightly bring the mixture up on the sides. Bake for 25-30 minutes in the preheated oven. The crust will bubble up and the edges will turn slightly brown. Let it cool until room temperature.
  3. For the filling, In a stand mixer or using beaters mix 1 cup of milk with the cream cheese and mix until creamy. Add pudding mix and the rest of the milk and mix well together until creamy.
  4. Spread over the cooled crust. Spread the cool whip on top of the filling mixture. You can top with fresh strawberry slices or bananas if desired. Drizzle with chocolate syrup if desired.

(I use French Vanilla pudding mix, 1/2 and 1/2 instead of milk, and real whipping cream for a richer flavor)Chocolate Eclair Cake!!! A pinterest favorite!! I made this for Mother's Day and everyone raved about this one! I made it with real whipped topping.

Respected Contributor

Morning, Thanx Soushi for starting off June!

So much going on, last week was baby-sitting out in the burbs, get whammied by some kind of "bug" wow, all I wanted to do was sleep which of course doesn't go well with watching kids, DD (not the Mom who was out of town) came to fill in, didn't know if I could even drive home, but somehow managed & went right to bed, by Sunday felt better, went to the grocery store, broke out in a massive sweat, headed home, again to bed, slowly each day is better, but then the killer, DM (98) fell & broke her hip, had surgery, now having therapy,not a good patient, never was, so problems abound, am afraid she'll refuse all therapy & end up being bed ridden for whatever time she has left. Enough of my whining!

Last nite did feel like eating, did a few chicken breasts on the grill (sandwich for lunch) tonite will also put some of the chicken along w/blistered cherry tomatoes, fresh snipped basil, etc w/pasta, good eating.

Weather here is same as yours Sushi, some scary storms, but thankfully have not lost power, have had that many times in the past, not fun, today is heavenly 60's & sunshine

Winifred hope you are well & weather not too hot, but I guess that's idle wishing, are the critters behaving themsleves?

Preds Great pix for the 4th

We will have our Parade Friday, then to the Park for ceremony, watermelon, dilly bars donated by Dairy Queen, brief respite then to the neighbor's for BBQ all in all a very good day

Take care all & HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!

Respected Contributor

PS Sushi, Best dessert ever & soo easy, I make it often

Honored Contributor

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

Oh my goodness, it has been soooooo humid and you can add hot to that. Just miserable!!!!

Some of the critters are behaving. Today will be their first all day long trip to the outside cage - that is the youngest kitties. It will be hot out there but they will have shade, food and water and I have beach towels there for them to stretch out on. Course every time I have had them out there they prefer wallowing in the dirt. LOL. One of the kitties just will not leave Conrad alone and occasionally bothers Miss Blackie - I had her nails cut already - and the other just has her own idea about what litter boxes are for and just does not like to use them for the proper activities of a litter box. Hmph!!!!!! So outside it will be - will bring them in at night although they will be enclosed something is getting in there at nighttime - either a ground squirrel or snake or some other critter - has to be small however.

Yesterday on TV saw jalapena poppers done on the grill. Called my brother as he is quite the cook - he loves poppers but had never grilled them so he is going to try them tomorrow - sounds yummy. They are stuffed with either creamed cheese or preferably neufchatel (sp) and loosely wrapped with bacon. The bacon is not done tightly as it shrinks when cooked and you can use toothpicks to hold the bacon or put them on skewers if you prefer. Of course the peppers are halved and seeds removed - takes about 20 minutes or so to cook. They said you can fix them months ahead and freeze them or a day ahead and put in fridge. I may even try a couple.

It was slow in cooling last night - sigh - and still quite warm - for us - at about 10. It did cool off but not our normal cool - a tad too hot to suit me and I was sweating a lot during the nigh. Ahhhhhhhhh sometimes no fun to get old.

Hope all have a great day

Valued Contributor

Morning,

Trying to decide if I want new counter top(expensive) or keep my Corian which is getting scratched. If new, what color? Will get a new sink, regardless. It needs replaced.

Going to be mid 70's for the rest of the week. I'm happy. My kind of weather. No plans for the 4th yet. And that's okay. DH will golf, of course. I might head to the outlet mall.

Saw this from a newsletter today and I do want to try it. Sounds refreshing.

Mango Salad

1 Watermelon

2-3 mangoes

1 Tbsp lime juice

1 tsp lime zest

½ tsp sugar

Remove watermelon rind

Remove seeds and cut it into 1-inch pieces

Peel the mangoes and remove the pits

Slice into 1-inch pieces and add to watermelon

Add lime juice, zest, and sugar

Chill at least 30 minutes, tossing occasionally

Okay, need to take clothes out of the washer into the dryer, start another load.

Enjoy the day.

Honored Contributor

Valued Contributor

Morning,

Yes, a very Happy 4th of July to all. Thank you, Preds. Great picture.

Let us all remember the sacrifices that have been made to allow us the freedom we enjoy. I think of the signers of the Declaration and what they were endangering in their lives to make that brave effort. They could have lost their lives, they could have lost all their property, been arrested.

We had ribs last night with green beans, corn, and buttered brussel sprouts. All was good. I added garlic power and onion salt to the frozen beans. Gave them great taste. Might bake that Awesome Ham today. Easy and tasty.

Okay, enjoy the day.