Contributor

Best slow cooker or CrockPot?

I would appreciate any suggestions for a slow cooker or "Crock Pot" as we called them back in the Stone Ages. I managed to break mine by putting it on (absentmindedly) a hot burner.

Thank you for any ideas.

Lizzie

Super Contributor

Re: Best slow cooker or CrockPot?

I love my Nesco slow cooker. I have the small 6 qt. since it's just me and my husband. In the past I've owned a crock pot but for some reason the food did not taste as good as the Nesco.
Respected Contributor

I love my Ninja 3-1 cooker. It browns the meat very well if you need to do it first and the clean up is a breeze. I am so glad I finally broke down and bought it.

Contributor

Thank you, LadyBug. I have a place to begin . I don't have to wander aimlessly! Smile

Contributor

luvpoos, Ninja 3-1 cooker. Not even familiar with that one. I better get started before I am way behind!

Respected Contributor

I have one Hamilton Beach and one Rival. I like them both just fine. JMO but it seems as though the newer crockpots/slow cookers, cook faster than those of old. It used to be that it would take 8 hours for a pot roast and now it's cooked in about 4-5 hours on LOW.

Anyone else think the same?

Respected Contributor

I prefer the small Nesco - unfortunately I dropped my last one and messed it up - Have had three and got all three from the Q - either 6 or 7 quart. The one I have now is a GE, it's ok, cooks a bit too slow but it works. This one can only be set on warm, high or medium with only three different times allowed, 4 hours, 6 hours and3 hours - those times are not always right. Sure cleans easy however. LOL. Do wish I had another Nesco but at my age not worth buying another one.

Trusted Contributor

I've had 2 Rival Crock Pots. My first was one of the originals to come out (probably got in 1975 and it was the kind that did not have the removable pot) and my second I got in 1998. It was starting to not cook as well (took longer) as it once did, so I replaced it about a year ago with the Ninja 3n1. As it does more than just the functions of a regular slow cooker, I love it more than the crock pots I had and can recommend it (use mine at least twice a week).

Honored Contributor

I have this one that came with a "baby" one inside, to my surprise!

I love the big pot…it's wonderful, and I use the little one for keeping sauces warm before serving. I recommend it very highly and the price was great. I got an additional 10% off because I took the display model.

Love it!

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

On 6/23/2014 Gooday said:

I have one Hamilton Beach and one Rival. I like them both just fine. JMO but it seems as though the newer crockpots/slow cookers, cook faster than those of old. It used to be that it would take 8 hours for a pot roast and now it's cooked in about 4-5 hours on LOW.

Anyone else think the same?

Hello Gooday! To answer your question, YES!!!!! I think exactly the same.

I'd had the same crockpot for eons, but awhile back decided to buy a new, bigger one. What a big, fat mistake! I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong, until I googled it about a year ago. As it turns out, the good old food police decided to raise the temps of crockpots to protect us.

It's said [if you want the results you're used to], if you've got a crockpot more than 5 years old, KEEP IT, & haunt thrift shops for older models if you're in the market for a 'new' one.

Here's a quote, & there are tons more out there:

Turns out, over the past 5-10 years the manufacturers of crockpots decided it was too dangerous to let food co...…which is to say, now “low” is more like “simmer,” and “hot” is more like “boil rapidly,” and either option has the high likelihood that your food will dry out and burn about an hour or two before your recipe is scheduled to be finished.