Honored Contributor

How to store opened sliced black olives

I was in our restaurant supply house and bought this huge can of sliced black olives. Its over 3 lbs. and it was only $6.00. So I'm thinking I can throw most of this out and still save money compared to those 2 or 4 ounce cans of sliced olives I usually buy for Mexican food. But I haven't opened it yet because of the wasted food issue. Can these be frozen? How long would they last refrigerated in Lock & Locks? Or was this just a stupid idea?

Trusted Contributor

Re: How to store opened sliced black olives

The eatbydate web site says once opened you can keep them in the fridge for 3-4 months past the use by date.

From their site: "Once opened, the olives should be kept in the fridge, fully submerged in their liquid. Do not store open cans in the fridge, place the olives and liquid in a jar or plastic container before putting them in the fridge."

Honored Contributor

My daughter buys the small cans for pizza, and when she has leftovers, she puts them in a KFC container (like individual servings of potatoes and gravy, and slaw come in), or she puts them in a sandwich bag in the refrigerator. I wouldn't hesitate to freeze some, or to seal them in a food saver bag and keep in the refrigerator.

Respected Contributor

I freeze them and thaw as needed for hot dishes or salads. Works fine !
Super Contributor

Well, obviously you all have willpower- I'd EAT 'em!

Respected Contributor

I have had success in freezing black olives in small freezer bags. I pour some of the liquid from the can in the bag to cover them.

Super Contributor

I just opened a small can tonight to put on my salad for dinner. No one else likes them so I put them in a tupperware container in the refrigerator. I will finish them in the next couple of days on salad.

Contributor

They are in a brine just like a jar of pickles so will keep for a long time in the fridge as long as the container is tight.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/24/2014 Scotnovel said:

The eatbydate web site says once opened you can keep them in the fridge for 3-4 months past the use by date.

From their site: "Once opened, the olives should be kept in the fridge, fully submerged in their liquid. Do not store open cans in the fridge, place the olives and liquid in a jar or plastic container before putting them in the fridge."

I always do it this way and they are good almost forever.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

i would store them in a tupperware, or lock and lock or even a mason jar

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.