Valued Contributor

Applesauce instead of pineapple in carrot cake?? Can you do it?? Help 911

I'm trying to make a carrot cake without pineapple , my brother doesn't like the pineapple and my sister in law wants to surprise him!!

Id love to do it in a 9/13 dish if at all possible,,Anyone have a recipe and knows if you can sub applesauce for the crushed pineapple??? and make it really moist?? or a recipe using a boxed cake where you add things??

Thank you, Brittany

Super Contributor

Re: Applesauce instead of pineapple in carrot cake?? Can you do it?? Help 911

Hey girl! Good luck with your cake. I have not made it with applesauce, but have read many recipes that people have used applesauce for the crushed pineapple for the same reasons you would like to. They said it is great, adds the same moisture. Some people say the texture could be a little different and even the flavor. I would certainly not be afraid to try it, should be wonderful!

Valued Contributor

Thanks bigKat, I'v found some recipes that look good but they have pineapple in therm im trying to look for something to sub!! Thanks,

Britt

Super Contributor

I really think you should be fine Brit.

One I used to make many years ago didn't have the extra stuff in it...don't know what recipe you are looking at. This is what's in mine that I used.

2 1/4 c. flour

2 c. sugar

2 t. soda

1 t. cinnamon

1/2 t. salt

2 c. shredded carrots

1 1/2 c. oil

4 eggs

1 c. chopped nuts (opptional)

*And as you know Brit from different recipes we have talked about on here in the past, you can certainly use applesauce instead of oil, if you were not using it to already replace the pineapple if the recipe called for pineapple.

Super Contributor

use baby food carrots-

Contributor

I wouldn't hesitate to sub applesauce but look on line for healthy carrot cake made with much less oil. I've made a few different ones and all were delicious.

Esteemed Contributor

Brit,

Just saw this. Am going to input the recipe we used in my bakery once my granddaughter arrives in a few minutes. Give me about 1/2 hour.

BTW, have never had carrot cake with pineapple in it.

~Rebecca - in SE

Esteemed Contributor

Here we go, Brit.

Carrot Cake

Cake

3c flour

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp cinnamon

½ tsp salt

1 lb carrots, grated finely

2 sticks butter, softened

1 c brown sugar, packed

1 c cane sugar

4 eggs, room temp

2 Tbs grated lemon peel

2 Tbs grated orange peel

2 Tbs lemon juice

2 Tbs orange juice

1 c coarsely chopped walnuts

1 c raisins (optional)

Simple Cream-Cheese Glaze

1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened

1 Tbs lemon juice

1 tsp grated lemon peel

1-1/2 c powdered sugar

½ c coarsely chopped walnuts

(This is not the original frosting I used on my bakery cakes, but is much easier to make.)

Lightly grease & flour a 10x4 tube pan or 9x13 pan. Sift flour with baking powder, soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside. Wash and pare carrots; finely grate. Should measure about 4 cups. Put grated carrots in a bowl and cover with Plastic wrap. Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl of mixer, at high speed beat butter and brown and regular sugars, scrapping sides as needed, until light and fluffy-about 4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition, until smooth and light.

In measuring cup, combine lemon and orange peels and juices. At low speed, beat flour mixture (in 4ths), alternately with lemon-orange mixture (in 3rds), beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat just until smooth-about 1 minute.

With a wooden spoon, stir in grated carrot, nuts and raisins; mix well. Turn into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake 60 minutes in middle of oven or until a tooth pick comes out clean. Cool on rack 20 minutes to cool slightly.

Meanwhile, make cream-cheese glaze. In medium bowl, combine cream cheese, lemon juice, lemon peel and powdered sugar. With mixer at medium speed, beat mixture until smooth. Set aside.

Gently loosen edge of cake with a spatula. Turn out of pan onto rack. Spread glaze over top of the warm cake, letting it run down the sides of the cake. Carefully remove cake to a cake platter or plate. Sprinkle chopped walnut around top edge of cake. Serves 12. Keeps well stored in a tightly covered cake tin.

Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

Well, I've never even heard of pineapple in a carrot cake, but I will say that I've used (sugar-free) applesauce in cake and cakey bread recipes in place of the oil for years. I love it that way, as 1/2c to 1c of veg oil in a cake always rather grossed me out.

Contributor

If you haven't made it yet, go to The Chew's website and look under recipes. Just yesterday someone on there made carrot cupcakes using applesauce instead of pineapple.