Super Contributor

Okay, so here's why we cook and bake….

On top of everything I need to do for Easter, I was asked by a friend to bring three dozen scones for a church fundraiser this afternoon. I put my Easter prep on hold and spent this morning making three different types of scones. I have to say, they turned out well, but by the time I was done I wasn't in the best frame of mind. I was tired and a little cranky and quite frankly, wondering why I had volunteered to do such a thing on a holiday weekend.

As I was packing my car with the scones, my elderly neighbor came outside to thank me for the ones I'd left on her porch in the morning. Her husband is terminally ill and hasn't been eating. She was so happy to report that she warmed one up for him and he ate the whole thing. She said that he wanted me to know they were the best he's ever had. They are such dear people and it felt so good to make him happy in such a small way.

I wanted to share this with my friends on the forum because you are an inspiration to me.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom and advice.. culinary and otherwise.

Wishing you all a happy day tomorrow.

Respected Contributor

Re: Okay, so here's why we cook and bake….

This is a great story!

A little bit related, but wanted to give ya'll another idea. When my husband passed away suddenly, instead of flowers, some relatives sent a bakery basket (from a commercial bakery) that included individually wrapped muffins, cookies, little cakes, etc. While other casseroles, etc. were appreciated, I essentially lived off of that basket for several days because a full meal didn't appeal, while a little "sweetie" was tempting and hit the spot.

House cat, glad your "cranky" Wink effort wound up being so rewarding. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Denise
Honored Contributor

we never know how our smallest gestures might be just what someone needs to help them through a difficult time.....how nice of you to be so thoughtful.

Respected Contributor

Wow! What a heart warming story.

Trusted Contributor

Bless you, house cat. I loved reading your story. Thank you for caring.

Occasional Contributor

Oh, house cat I hear what you are saying. I just checked on my Facebook and found a message from my son-in-law following my day of cooking for Easter (I made one of his favorites which is banana pudding). His message made my day, my week, my year!

The message from my son-in-law, Randy:

"Thanks for all you do for all of us . I love you very much . We all love you . You are the best Mimi ever....... The banana pudding is delicious I'm going to have some now ."

Super Contributor

On 4/22/2014 MimiKathy said:

Oh, house cat I hear what you are saying. I just checked on my Facebook and found a message from my son-in-law following my day of cooking for Easter (I made one of his favorites which is banana pudding). His message made my day, my week, my year!

The message from my son-in-law, Randy:

"Thanks for all you do for all of us . I love you very much . We all love you . You are the best Mimi ever....... The banana pudding is delicious I'm going to have some now ."

That is so sweet of him, Mimi {#emotions_dlg.wub} I'm sure it's nice to know that your daughter married such a thoughtful man.

We do it because it's an act of love. We don't want medals or accolades, just heart-felt appreciation. When it happens, it's inspiration to forge ahead!

Honored Contributor

house cat, that is a very important story. I, too, have found myself (as I'm sure we all have) saying yes to something, then getting a (more than) little cranky when I have to follow through with it and don't have the time or attitude to do so cheerfully. Then, almost out of nowhere, something so good comes of it, just like your neighbor enjoying your scones. That was a really big deal, to have someone so ill, and trying to make them comfortable and satisfied, and nothing seems to work.

You were a blessing to them both when he was able to eat something and enjoy it so much, and to her for relieving even just a bit of the stress that a care giver goes through trying to support the one who is suffering. It then makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it?

Bless you for helping out!

Super Contributor

On 4/22/2014 mominohio said:

house cat, that is a very important story. I, too, have found myself (as I'm sure we all have) saying yes to something, then getting a (more than) little cranky when I have to follow through with it and don't have the time or attitude to do so cheerfully. Then, almost out of nowhere, something so good comes of it, just like your neighbor enjoying your scones. That was a really big deal, to have someone so ill, and trying to make them comfortable and satisfied, and nothing seems to work.

You were a blessing to them both when he was able to eat something and enjoy it so much, and to her for relieving even just a bit of the stress that a care giver goes through trying to support the one who is suffering. It then makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it?

Bless you for helping out!

Thank you. You have summed up the way I felt. The last few years, my husband has done a lot of favors for them and they appreciate it very much. She has always paid us back with homemade cookies and pies. The last year or so she hasn't had time to bake, so she appreciates it when I leave treats for them.

While I appreciate all the kind words, I started this thread to see if anyone else had stories to share.

Anyone?