Trusted Contributor

MANY years ago (probably at least 30 years), I had a recipe for Sloppy Joes and it had ketchup, mustard, ground beef and I'm not sure what else. It was the best sloppy joe I can remember ever having. Anyone ever heard of or seen or have this recipe?!!! Thansk!

Honored Contributor

My favorite is the Manwich out of the can! You cook the beef and add this.

Esteemed Contributor

Honestly, I just sauté onions and peppers with some ground beef, then drain, and throw on some Sweet Baby Ray's regular BBQ sauce with a little water. It makes really good and quick joes. I like to serve it on big seeded buns with shredded cheddar.

As to the recipe with the mustard and ketchup, I do think someone posted one like that not all that long ago. You might try searching sloppy joes.

Trusted Contributor

My son-in-law loves Manwich also. Me.....not so much.

Valued Contributor

When I was a child (many moons ago) I vaguely remember my mom making sloppy joes that had vegetable soup in it. My birth mom passed when I was almost 5 so I may be getting that memory mixed up with something else, but I swear they were made with vegetable soup. Sorry I can't help you with what you are looking for.

Respected Contributor

Here ya go; I've tried many recipes, but this is my favorite. It's fast and easy, and tastes far better than the canned stuff:

Sloppy Joes

Ingredients:

1 pound lean ground beef

1/4 cup chopped onion

1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard

3/4 cup ketchup

3 teaspoons brown sugar

salt to taste

ground black pepper to taste

Directions:

In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion, and green pepper; drain off liquids.

Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar; mix thoroughly. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

NOTE: For Sloppy Joses, add some chili powder (to taste) and some jalapeno peppers.

Honored Contributor

I agree with Sooner that Manwich is the best, especially the new bold flavor they have now but I did see the below on line. I have not tried it but may be it will help you invent your own.

<h3>Ingredients:</h3>

1 tbsp. oil

1 medium onion, chopped

1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef

1 cup barbecue sauce or ketchup

1/2 cup FRENCH'S® Classic Yellow® Mustard

1/4 cup FRENCH'S® Classic Worcestershire Sauce

Hamburger rolls

<h3>Directions:</h3>

HEAT oil in large nonstick skillet. Saute onion 3 min. until tender.

ADD beef to skillet. Cook until browned, stirring to separate meat. Drain well.

STIR in barbecue sauce, mustard and Worcestershire. Simmer about 5 min. until flavors are blended. Serve over hamburger rolls.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

I just googled sloppy joes made with vegetable soup and lo and behold the first recipe was from Taste of Home and was called soupy joes. I didn't think I was going crazy. It also has ketchup and mustard in it if that is any help to the OP. Just may have to make this sometime soon and take a walk down memory lane.

Esteemed Contributor

I buy Stonewall Kitchen's sloppy joe sauce - love it.

Honored Contributor

While I have used Manwich Bold, I will only do so if in a hurry. There is nothing like homemade sloppy joe sauce.

Rachel Ray has an excellent recipe that garnered raves when I made it for a get together.

Here is the recipe.

Ingredients

Directions

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and meat to the pan. Spread the meat around the pan and begin to break it up. Combine brown sugar and steak seasoning. Add sugar and spice mixture to the skillet and combine. When the meat has browned, add onion and red peppers to the skillet. Reduce heat to medium and cook onions, peppers, red wine vinegar and Worcestershire sauce with meat for 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and paste to pan. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to simmer and cook Sloppy Joe mixture 5 minutes longer

<h6> </h6>