Contributor

my mother made a casserole with chopped broccoli, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, butter and stuffing. Has anyone made this or something similar? I don't know how much of each ingredient to use. Maybe enough for a 3 qt. casserole? TIA

Esteemed Contributor

Is this it?

1 box stove top dressing

1 Tbsp oil

2 Cups water

1# broccoli florets

1 1/4 Cup shredded cheddar

OPTIONAL: 1 1/2 # boneless shredded cooked chicken

Slightly steam broccoli in oil and water. Add stuffing mix and stir until moistened. Add chicken and cheese. Cover and cook until heated through.

I put mine in a pan and baked it. I also think I doubled it. Hopefully others can offer help. I am taking this from a hand written recipe that I scribbled down at a potluck because I thought it was really good. Now that I think of it, I used a can of cream of mushroom soup and cut back on some of the water. I did not use sour cream or butter, but that doesn't sound bad at all! I usually don't stick to a recipe, but always doctor it up one way or the other.

Good luck!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I have never made it but found this recipe online. HTH

Smile

1 lg pkg chopped broccoli cooked and drained (not too much since you are going to bake it) Add some butter to season if you want.
2 cups sharp shredded cheddar cheese
1 can cream of something soup(chicken, mushroom, broccoli, etc)
1 cup sour cream (instead of mayo)
1 box of stove top stuffing
mix all ingredients and bake in a 9 x13 dish sprayed with PAM at 400° till top is browned and cheese melted.

Super Contributor

I found this recipe and many variations on cook-book.com. Others use made from scratch stuffing, onions, grated cheese, etc. This one has mushrooms as well as the ingredients you listed:

Chicken and Dressing Casserole

8-oz pkg Pepperidge Farm herb stuffing
1 stick margarine
8 oz sour cream
1 1/2 c chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
3 1/2 to 5 lb chicken, boiled, deboned and cut up into bite size pieces
1 small can mushroom stems and pieces

Cook and cut up chicken.

Melt margarine and add dry stuffing mix until moist.

Place 3/4 of the stuffing mix in the bottom of a greased casserole dish. Set aside 1/2 (I assume it's supposed to be 1/4 of the stuffing, not 1/2, since we've already used 3/4 of it) of the stuffing.

Place chicken on top of the stuffing.

Next, layer mushrooms on top of this.

Next mix sour cream, cream of chicken soup and 1 cup of chicken broth together. Pour over the chicken, stuffing and mushrooms. Pour remaining stuffing on top of that; then pour the rest of the broth, 1/2 cup, over that. Bake at 350 deg F for 45 minutes, uncovered.

Super Contributor

My recipe is a little different, but maybe you can still use it for ingredient amounts and alter it to make it more like what you are looking for.

Broccoli Casserole

2 Packages frozen chopped Broccoli

1 Medium Onion Chopped

2 Tablespoons Butter

2 Tablespoons Flour

1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup

1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup

3/4 Cup Milk

4 ounces (or more) Velveeta

Cornbread Stuffing Mix

Cook Broccoli as directed on package, drain and set aside. In a large skillet, saute chopped onion in the butter, stir in flour. Add the 2 cans of soup and milk to the onions, stir well until thickened, add Velveeta stirring until melted, add Broccoli, mix well, transfer to 9x13 pan. Sprinkle Cornbread Stuffing Mix on top. Bake for 30 minutes or until topping is nicely browned.

tkins

Contributor
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all your responses. I'm all set now, must have had a few "senior moments"