Trusted Contributor

Strawberry Shortcake Recipe Request

Good Day Everyone!

I was at a restaurant in Cavecreek Az and had the best shortcake. It was a shortcake baked in a pan, very moist.

Anyone have a delicious recipe to share?

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: Strawberry Shortcake Recipe Request

I always use angel food cake.

Trusted Contributor

My birthday is in July, and my grannie always made me a strawberry shortcake cake.....{#emotions_dlg.wub} She always macerated the strawberries with sugar, until the syrup came about, and baked a pound cake in very thin layers, and would put the strawberries on top, and put a layer of fresh whipped cream.......no Cool Whip, or canned stuff, and then add in layer and strawberries for about four layers, with strawberries and fresh whipped cream on top, and then refrigerated, and the strawberries and syrup would soak in the layers, and it was OH SOOOOOOO GOOD...........{#emotions_dlg.w00t} Such memories......I have not had one since she left so many, many years ago........{#emotions_dlg.wub} Nothing will ever come close again, as I can make it all day long, but the love and care will just not be there, and it takes on a totally different flavor......{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Super Contributor

My family has always used my grandmother's recipe. It is a moist, but dense, cake. We cut it into 6-8 servings, then slice each piece flat-wise to make 2 layers. Each person adds strawberries and whipped cream layers for a yummy shortcake! It's also dynamite with peaches instead of strawberries.

Here's our recipe:

Marvel's Two Minute Cake

1 cup sugar

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

2 eggs

1/4 cup margarine

milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Sift dry ingredients together in a small mixing bowl. Melt margarine and put into a liquid measuring cup, break eggs into it and add milk to make 1 cup liquid. Pour over dry ingredients and beat thoroughly. Add vanilla and mix well. Pour into a greased and floured 8 x 8 cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until done (clean toothpick test).

Note: We've never had good results trying to double this recipe. I don't know why--maybe the bigger pan is the problem. If we want more, we make 2 separate recipes in 2 pans.

Super Contributor

This is such an interesting thread. . .Strawberry Short Cake is one of my all time favorites and like almost everyone else, revolves around " MY Grandma's version". . .Grandma Nellie made a sweet biscuit shortcake. . . Hot from the oven she'd split and butter each cut side, then layer with fresh sugared strawberries, and whipped cream and more sugared strawberries. . .YUMMMMM! . . .Of course I love all things strawberry. . .Fresh Strawberry Pie. . .Strawberry Jello. . .Strawberries over Ice Cream. . .Strawberries dipped in Chocolate. . .Strawberries rolled in Sugar. . .Etc.

Contributor

I really like the yellow sponge cake things from the store but they can be hard to find at some times of the year. In a pinch I will use the frozen strawberry tubs from the store with Twinkies. This is usually in the middle of the winter when you can not buy fresh. LOL

Frequent Contributor

I'm probably too old and lazy by now to try new recipes - but I do love Strawberry Shortcake. I've made it the same way over the years - and it's a simple recipe on the box of Bisquick. Sponge cake or twinkie-like cakes are also good - but the Bisquick shortcake is light and easy to mix up and bakes quickly. Yum.... Now, I'm getting hungry for some!!

• 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 1/3 cups Original Bisquick® mix
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

Valued Contributor

I make an angel food cake but my southern grandma made buttermilk biscuits for the cakes yum
Super Contributor

This reminded me of my dear sweet mom who I lost a year ago. This is so simple it's dumb, but to this day it is my favorite way to eat strawberries. Mom would make several pie crusts and bake them. Once they had cooled she would take fresh strawberries that she had sugared and had allowed to form their own syrup and would take large pieces of the crust, put in a bowl and cover with the syrupy strawberries. She would then cover that with vanilla ice cream. Oh my goodness just thinking about her "recipe" makes my mouth water. Miss my mom so much, but have great memories.

Happy Easter

Vicki

Honored Contributor

The people I know are so fussy about their SBSC. Some insist on biscuits, others angel food cake and still others pound cake. And then there is the issue of the topping, some insist on real whipped cream, some insist on Cool Whip. As for me I just like the fruit.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.