Contributor

I hate my corner cabinet lazy susan thing...

I have a fairly new house with a custom kitchen. One very large corner cabinet on the bottom has a lazy susan. I'd never had one before and thought it was a great idea. I've been living with this thing for 7 years now. Everything falls off the shelves behind the rack and I can't reach them. They are truly the worst use of space I've ever encountered. Has anyone ever pulled one of these out and put something else in the cabinet? I'm not really sure what else could go in the space but I have absolutely had my fill of this thing!

Honored Contributor

Re: I hate my corner cabinet lazy susan thing...

I love mine. I've never had anything fall, but I have my pots and skillets in it. Nicely stacked into each other and on the shelves.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Super Contributor

I'm not a big fan of mine either - I use it to store paper towels. They work very well in that space - I store them upright, and since I go through lots of paper towels, it's nice having all the extra rolls in the kitchen.

Valued Contributor

We just got new kitchen cabinets in December and my husband surprised me with this contraption, the lazy susan. I told him I wanted that removed. It's such a big waste of space and junk collector too. He said it can be removed.

Some people might like it to put spices and flour in that area but I already have a place in the pantry for those things. I lost a lot of space with that being built in.

Honored Contributor

When I originally got mine I put food on it and soon learned about the stuff falling off, so I changed around the kitchen and put pots and pans in there. They did not fall off but were very heavy and broke the plastic turnstiles.After replacing those I had cleaning products in there. I was very happy when we moved and I no longer had to deal with that stupid thing. I agree with the OP about it.

Super Contributor

I agree with you! I had one in our first house many years ago (glad before kids, they would have used it to spin cars!) and never wanted one again.

They do make pull out corner cabinet shelves that can be installed in that space, depending on how large your door opening is. If you check out a home improvement store you could probably get some good ideas.

In my last two houses that we built, I put a corner cabinet that has a folding door (that opens wide to get in there easy) with one shelf in the middle. I use this space to store all my large electric items like my hand mixer, blender, rice cooker, processor, large colanders and such. It would work good for pots and pans too.

Valued Contributor

I don't have one but have seen pictures of newer versions with higher sides to keep things from falling off. The newer ones I've seen are made from stainless steel (sort of basket style looking) instead of plastic. Maybe you could look for one of the newer ones and swap yours. Hope you can find a solution.

Contributor

I have the folding door thing so the shelf idea might be doable. My upper corner cabinet has shelves so I'm surprised that didn't occur to me!

Respected Contributor

I had my kitchen remodeled about 10-11 years ago - the contractor suggested no lazy susan for the corner cupboard - instead there's a shelf. I still hate it. I have all my pots and pans and plastic ware in it and it holds a lot. But it's hard to get to stuff in the back plus it's always a mess.

Honored Contributor

I have two of them and can't stand them. I'd rather have stationary shelves.