Trusted Contributor

APRIL 2014 RECIPE GAME.........NO FOOLING THESE COOKS!!!

No one has started, that I can see, so I will try to start the new month......Kiss

HOW TO PLAY THE GAME:

1. The first player of the month starts the game by posting their choice of recipe. At the end of the text, she or he types their name (so we can give credit where credit is due) and "the next ingredient: xxxx. (The x’s represent that person’s choice of any ingredient that can be included in a recipe.).

2. Throughout the game, the next poster in line must use the ingredient that the person ahead chose. If you can, highlight the ingredient and/or put it in capital letters anywhere that it is used throughout the recipe. That does make it easier for everyone to see how the game works. If you aren’t that familiar with your word processor, don’t sweat it. We are more interested in your ideas than your formatting skills.

3. Because of time or system delays, some duplicate posts occur to the same ingredient. The next poster generally responds to the first post for that ingredient.

Wonderful for an Easter Brunch........Cool

Creamsicle Mimosa

Ingredients

2-1/2 cups orange juice

1 cup half-and-half cream

3/4 cup superfine sugar

4 teaspoons grated orange peel

2 bottles (750 milliliters each) Champagne or other sparkling wine(Prosecco works well)

Fresh strawberries

Directions

Place the orange juice, cream, sugar and orange peel in a blender;

cover and process until sugar is dissolved. Transfer to an 8-in.

square dish. Freeze for 6 hours or overnight.

For each serving, scoop 1/4 cup mix into a Champagne glass; top with

Champagne. Garnish with a strawberry and serve immediately.

Creamsicle Mimosa

NEXT INGREDIENT: VANILLA

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Super Contributor

Re: APRIL 2014 RECIPE GAME.........NO FOOLING THESE COOKS!!!

Easy Vanilla Pudding

• Easy Vanilla Pudding
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
  • 2 1/4 cups whole milk
  • 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Place a mesh strainer over a 4-cup measuring cup or bowl with a spout and set aside.
  2. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan and whisk until incorporated. While constantly whisking, slowly drizzle in 1/4 cup of the milk until smooth. Whisk in the egg yolks and remaining milk.
  3. Place the saucepan over medium heat and cook, whisking often, until the pudding begins to thicken and just starts to bubble, about 5 to 6 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low and switch to a rubber spatula. Stir constantly, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan, until the pudding makes visible ribbons when drizzled over the surface, about 3 to 5 minutes.
  4. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla extract until the butter is melted and completely incorporated. Pour the pudding through the prepared strainer. Immediately transfer it to 4 (4-ounce) ramekins or resealable containers. Lightly press a piece of plastic wrap on top of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming. Chill in the refrigerator until set, about 2 hours.
Next ingredient: Bisquick
Honored Contributor

Thanks, forrestwolf, cute heading about the cooks....two good recipes here to start us off....continuing......NEXT INGREDIENT.....Bisquick
Super Contributor

On 4/2/2014 walker said: Thanks, forrestwolf, cute heading about the cooks....two good recipes here to start us off....continuing......NEXT INGREDIENT.....Bisquick

Just made this last night:

CHICKEN COBBLER

1 rotisserie chicken cut up (or equal amount of chicken meat cooked)

8 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 cans cream of whatever soup (I used 1 mushroom and 1 chicken, both low fat)
1/2 C. milk
1 bag frozen vegetables (any mix - I used one with sliced carrots, corn and string beans)

Brown mushrooms in large skillet - add soup and milk and bring to a simmer, then add veggies and salt & pepper to taste. Cover and cook about 5 minutes.

Pour into casserole dish (I used a 9x13" Pyrex dish).

Topping:

1-1/2 C. Bisquick (I used heart healthy kind)
1/2 C. milk (I used skim)

Drop by tablespoonsful over the filling and bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes until brown.

Next ingredient - ginger

Valued Contributor

Gingerbread

1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 c. molasses
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. ginger
1 egg
2 1/2 c. flour
1 c. hot water

Cream shortening and sugar. Add beaten egg and molasses, then dry ingredients which have been sifted together. Add hot water last and beat until smooth. Bake in a greased shallow 9" x 13" pan for 35 min. at 350º

NEXT INGREDIENT Pork Steak

Esteemed Contributor

Pork Fried Rice

2 cups prepared rice
1/4 pound cooked pork steaks, cut into bite size pieces
1/2 cup peas & carrots, frozen
2 Tbsp white onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 eggs
½ can water chestnuts, sliced
½ can bean sprouts (or fresh)

1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 Tbsp cup soy sauce (or to taste)

Prepare rice. Cook pork steaks. Set aside.

Heat sesame oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add onion, garlic, peas, and carrots.

Stir fry until tender; add water chestnuts and bean sprouts. Crack eggs into pan and scramble, mixing throughout vegetables.

Add rice, pork, and soy sauce to pan. This recipe is easy to double.

Mix soy sauce throughout and remove from heat.

Next ingredient: Tarragon

Super Contributor

Cheesy Ham and Asparagus Bake (Allrecipes)

1 1/2 cups chopped cooked ham

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/4 red bell pepper

10 oz. pkg. frozen cut asparagus (thawed)

8 eggs

2 cups milk

1 cup flour

1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

3/4 tsp. dried tarragon

3/4 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. black pepper

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  2. Mix the ham, onion, red bell peppers, and asparagus in the prepared baking dish. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, flour, Parmesan, tarragon, salt, and pepper. Pour over the ham mixture.
  3. Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese. Continue baking 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Next ingredient: chives
Trusted Contributor

I am so sure this is not what you were hoping for, but I am going with it any way.......Smile I must have butter and sour cream with chives (meaning freeze dried) with a baked 'tater......SO mix ever so much sour cream, with how ever many freeze dried chives that you like, and top your 'tater til your heart will stand....and then add in black pepper 'til black on top........Please pardon my Southern accent on this one............{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

NEXT INGREDIENT : WATER

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Super Contributor

Precooking, or 'velveting' is an Asian cooking technique that works great for meats that have been marinated first, usually w/ a mixture of cornstarch & egg white, among other seasonings. Once velveted, it's ready to stir fry as you normally would - with much less cooking time required. Easy, schmeezy!

*Optimally, beef should be velveted in oil using the same technique, but chicken is fine w/ the water technique.

Velveting/Pre-cooking 1 pound chicken (or beef, see note above):

Ingredients:

4 Cups water plus 1 tablespoon corn or peanut oil

Procedure:

Station a metal colander in the sink, & have the meat & a large, flat plate nearby.

Stir the marinated meat in it's bowl to loosen it, then slide onto a large, flat plate.

Bring the greased water to a simmer in a large saucepan, then reduce the heat to maintain a bare simmer where the water ripples & rolls more than bubbles.

(Too fast a simmer, & the meat loses it's coating & toughens.)

Stir the marinated meat to loosen, then slide it into the water.

Stir gently to separate the cubes/slices in the rippling water, and allow to cook briefly.

Chicken, until it is 90% white - about 20 seconds.

Beef, approximately 15 - 20 seconds.

Drain immediately into the waiting colander. If you're in any doubt, drain sooner than later.

(Chicken will be 90-95% white on the outside, and still raw on the inside.)

Shake to remove water, then spread the chicken onto the large plate. Stir fry immediately.

Next ingredient: chicken thighs

ETA: I changed my initial post, as forrest & I had both shared a recipe using chives, so I re-posted using her ingredient of choice.

Esteemed Contributor

Baked Artichoke Chicken

4 lbs. chicken legs and thighs, w/ skin (I used a chicken cut up, including breasts)
1 cup artichoke hearts, halved (canned is fine)
1 medium onion, cut into pieces same size as the artichokes
1 pound white button mushrooms (halved or quartered)
2 tablespoons brown mustard
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup red or white wine (you could also sub in chicken stock)
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
1 bay leaf
kosher salt and pepper (to taste)

Preheat oven to 350F-375F, depending if you like crispy skin or not.

Place artichokes, onions and mushrooms on the bottom of a big pan. Place chicken pieces on top of the vegetables.

Mix the mustard with the rest of the ingredients and pour over chicken.
Season w/ kosher salt & pepper.

Bake about 1 hour, basting the pieces once or twice.

Next ingredient: Garden peas