Trusted Contributor

Beef-Mac-Tomato -- What Name?

"Once Upon a Time" there was a dish with elbow macaroni, ground beef, and tomatoes which was a staple of school cafeteria lunches and mom-and-pop restaurants. At my recent high-school reunion, none of us could remember what name it went by in the South. Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives featured it as "American Chop Suey" and other places call it Chili-Mac. Are there any fond memories on this forum who have a name for it and a recipe to share? [I'm brand new to this Recipe Swap and am having a wonderful time reading all the friendly posts. Thanks to all who share here.] -- HoneyBit

New Contributor

Re: Beef-Mac-Tomato -- What Name?

They called it Johnny Marzetti where I come from.

Super Contributor

I made this last night. Ground beef, onion, red bell pepper, garlic, can of diced tomatoes, small can of tomato sauce, wostershire sauce and elbow pasta. I remember when I was a kid my aunt made something similar. I asked her what it was and she said goulash. I think she just used that name for throwing a bunch of things together. I love the combo of hamburger, bell pepper, tomato and pasta.
Honored Contributor

I think we knew it as 'goulash' also. The stuff called Beef-a-Roni came in a can or a box, IIRC (aka - barf-a-roni. ha!).

You really don't need a recipe. Just make it. Smiley Happy Put in there the flavor profiles that you like. I haven't made this in decades, but I recall never actually having a recipe for it.

Trusted Contributor

At my house it had the original name of Meat, Macaroni and Tomatoes!

Respected Contributor

My mother used to make this often, she called it American Chop Suey. It was an easy meal for her to make after she got home from work for the family. It was one of my fathers favorite dinners. As a kid I didn't care for the onions, so I just picked around them. And there was always a fresh loaf of Italian bread. Totally forgot about this dish, I just may have to make it.

Honored Contributor

we call it goulash or beefy mac.

no recipe.......just brown the meat and onion, cook the pasta (it doesnt have to be elbow macaroni), add juicy tomatoes, some tomato paste, turmeric, salt, pepper, garlic powder or garlic, sometimes some italian seasoning, and sometimes even some tiny cubed fried potato. it all gets thrown in together and "steamed" on low heat.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I'm from the deep south of Georgia. I've never had this in my family, but will try it with my niece and nephew. Simple and easy ought to be good enough. You can do it on the stovetop or oven or toaster oven. Thanks for the idea ladies!

Honored Contributor

On 10/19/2014 tigriss said:

I'm from the deep south of Georgia. I've never had this in my family, but will try it with my niece and nephew. Simple and easy ought to be good enough. You can do it on the stovetop or oven or toaster oven. Thanks for the idea ladies!

if you brown the meat first you can also do it in a rice cooker or a slow cooker/crockpot.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

Not sure, but it should be called Bemato! Smile