Fashion Special Offers
60 Members and 12396 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Pressure Cooker - Mac & Cheese

Started 1272386988.51 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1301344472.843 by wagirl

OK, I've got a stupid question.  I've got the 4 quart and am making Bob Warden's

mac & cheese.  After you cook the noodles do you drain the liq before  you add the

cheese.  I do when I'm making it on the stove top but being new to a Pressure Cooker

I just did not know.  So I did not and it was very soupy but then later turned out

really good.  I'm confused.  Please let me know.

Thanks!!

Becky

Page 1 of 1
Heres Lucy1272387137.3173801 PostsRegistered 12/22/2007Way down yonder in the paw paw patch

If I can find the cookbook to my pressure cooker I will let you know. In the meantime maybe someone else will tell you before I do.

Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God. –Corrie ten Boom, author

wagirl1272387272.754419 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004

NO don't drain out the liquid!!! The same thing happened to me when I made it for the first time, but it thickens up and is so good!! Most the rice/pasta recipes are the same way--kind of soupy at first but upon standing, they are just fine. Are you cooking out of Bob Wardens pressure cooker book? I love that book and have made many of the recipes with huge success.

Heres Lucy1272387316.533801 PostsRegistered 12/22/2007Way down yonder in the paw paw patch

ok. the book makes no mention of draing the noodles. It says to perform a quick release, safely remove the lid and slowly stir in the cheese ingredients until melted and creamy.

Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God. –Corrie ten Boom, author

bajsf1272393598.203226 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

can you post the recipe! TIA

Heres Lucy1272394621.0373801 PostsRegistered 12/22/2007Way down yonder in the paw paw patch

Not sure if you are talking to me but here is the recipe bajsf

Macaroni

2 1/2 cups elbow macaroni

2 tsps chicken base mixed into 2 cups water

1 cup water

2 tbls butter or margarine

1 tbls grated parmesan cheese

Add all macaroni ingredients to the pressure cooker, securely lock on lid and set the cooker to high and cook 6 mins.

Perform a quick release to release the pressure and safely remove the lid. Slowly stir in the cheese ingredients until melted and creamy.

Cheese

2 cups shredded sharp cheddar

2 ozs cream cheese (1/4 of a regular sized brick)

1 tsp yellow mustard

Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God. –Corrie ten Boom, author

bajsf1272395088.793226 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

sure, great thanks for posting!!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Becky and ­Dennis1273112864.7532 PostsRegistered 4/27/2010

Back again.  I am making it out of Bob's cookbook.  I made it a 2nd time and

this time I did drain the noodles and stir in the cheese.  You know it just wasn't

as good.  Interesting.  I wonder how long it will have to set before it is

servable.  I'll have to play with it and see.

Thanks everybody and good to hear I'll see the same thing with the rice.  That

was next on my list. 

wagirl1273176009.3374419 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004
On 5/5/2010 Becky and Dennis said:

Back again.  I am making it out of Bob's cookbook.  I made it a 2nd time and

this time I did drain the noodles and stir in the cheese.  You know it just wasn't

as good.  Interesting.  I wonder how long it will have to set before it is

servable.  I'll have to play with it and see.

Thanks everybody and good to hear I'll see the same thing with the rice.  That

was next on my list. 

 I have made this recipe about 10 times now and I NEVER drain the liquid!! Don't drain the liquid!! It will thicken just fine if you let it go for a few minutes and stir a few times. You don't have to play around with this as it will set up . Most of the recipes in his book are the same way---they need to stand and thicken a few minutes.

Vange1292094719.3432 PostsRegistered 9/5/2010

Thanks so much for the clarification. I just made it for the first time and it was great! Very cheesy!

4uthebest1292096274.6873526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 4/27/2010 Heres Lucy said:

Not sure if you are talking to me but here is the recipe bajsf

Macaroni ....

1 tsp yellow mustard

Please be careful as posting a recipe from a book is a copyright violation and is of course illegal.

cacook771301331860.071 PostsRegistered 3/28/2011

Made this recipe yesterday to go with our yummy smoked ribs. I will be throwing it out today and making my regular mac n cheese. It was terrible, whats with the chicken bouillon and no milk? Thought it sounded strange, but wanted to keep an open mind and give it a try. I even tried to doctor it up and smoke it a bit, but nothing helped. The method for cooking the pasta worked great though, so I would try that again with 3 cups of water to 2 1/2 cups of macaroni, bring to high pressure for 6 min, then quick release, no draining needed, when I did it, there was very little water remaining.

wagirl1301344472.8274419 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004
On 3/28/2011 cacook77 said:

Made this recipe yesterday to go with our yummy smoked ribs. I will be throwing it out today and making my regular mac n cheese. It was terrible, whats with the chicken bouillon and no milk? Thought it sounded strange, but wanted to keep an open mind and give it a try. I even tried to doctor it up and smoke it a bit, but nothing helped. The method for cooking the pasta worked great though, so I would try that again with 3 cups of water to 2 1/2 cups of macaroni, bring to high pressure for 6 min, then quick release, no draining needed, when I did it, there was very little water remaining.

I can't believe you had trouble with this recipe. I've made it over and over and it has always turned out great. Are you sure you followed the directions? No insult meant; it's just that I cook this for other people and it is one of the few that I get rave reviews for and request for an extra servings. I do add some milk to rehydrate it and that is makes it a little creamier too.

Page 1 of 1