Trusted Contributor

Have you ever made your own mayonnaise?

Every holiday dinner I make deviled eggs because my family really likes them. And every holiday dinner I eat one and think to myself, these have a good flavor, but they're too salty. It's the mayonnaise. During Easter dinner, I was sitting there eating my deviled egg wondering to myself if I could make my own mayo and control the salt content that way. I remember seeing a mayo recipe in my Vitamix book. Has anyone ever made their own mayo? How did it come out?

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

Re: Have you ever made your own mayonnaise?

Sure. It's super easy. Always did mine in a blender. All it is is a egg, dry mustard little salt and then the oil streamed in slowly. Might have vinegar as well been a long time. Takes all of 5 mins.
Valued Contributor

I have never made it but my mom did. She used a recipe that was my grandmothers. It was far superior to store bought mayo. I have the recipe but have never tried it. I made some macaroni salad earlier this week and I wished I had some!

Respected Contributor

Yep, and it's sooooo good. So much better than the stuff from ajar. I use my stick blender. It takes about 2 minutes to make. So easy.
Esteemed Contributor

Barefoot Contessa makes it regularly. Check out Ina for recipes.

You can tweek it as you wish and kick up the flavor.

Honored Contributor

I did in collage in one of our labs. It tasted slightly like mustard. Having always been a Duke's or Hellman's girl, I never made it again.

Trusted Contributor

Homemade is pretty easy. The key is adding the oil VERY slowly otherwise it won't emulsify. I have found that I like Veganaiise a lot better than regular mayo. It is in the health food section refrigerator in Wegmans and it tastes delicious and isn't salty like regular mayo which I find salty too. It cost a bit more but it's well worth it.
Honored Contributor

Lynneuk, I am so glad you brought up Veganaise as it is delicious (to me it tastes like Hellmann's). I prefer the regular version but there are others to choose from. At first I could only find it in health food stores but now is becoming more readily available in grocery stores.

Valued Contributor

Yes, and it is easy. Sometimes used a blender, and sometimes just a whisk.
Respected Contributor

All the time, usually with the stick blender, but blender or food processor works great! I love to put shallots and red wine vinegar in mine, or sometimes fresh herbs like tarragon or dill The world is your oyster when you make your own mayo.. Try it!