Valued Contributor

Does anyone here remember Laughner's Cafeteria?

They used to serve sliced ham with a sauce made from cherries, anyone remember this? I was just wondering if you would know how to make the cherry sauce?

TIA

Contributor

Re: Does anyone here remember Laughner's Cafeteria?

Yes, I certainly remember Laughner's but I don't know how to make the sauce. Have you googled it?

Honored Contributor

Never heard of one of those in our area, but I will say, your post did bring back memories of several cafeterias that we did once have here, and I had all but totally forgotten about them. Thanks for bringing back those memories. I can still smell the one place, and picture it in my mind!

Respected Contributor

Cafeterias like S&S and others in store like the Pic and Save we had are gone. You could get a decent lunch/dinner there without lots of cost and do your shopping. The closest thing no is when we go to Sam's and don't want to stop for a large meal afterwards and get one of their pizza slice combos or hotdog combos. They do have good pizza and hotdogs, so they aren't bad for a quick bite. Most Targets have a lunch area that has decent food for those in need and not wanting to make another stop. My sister and I would use it as a place for her to nurse her kids before we went shopping. We would get their house coffee and a snack while she nursed. No one EVER gave her a problem with nursing in public with her cover and the like, nor did the staff try to rush her. We would stop there and Books a Million to nurse while shopping. They are clean, comfortable, and never uttered a discouraging word or look. It beats nursing in hot car or crowded mall with bad chairs.

Those cafeterias are always supportive of people that lingered or sat and enjoyed their company in a comfortable environment. Too bad people are in a hurry today to turn over the seats for profit rather than customer support.

Super Contributor

I don't know of Laughner's but I do remember Horn and Hardarts Cafeteria. The food (sandwiches, salads, cake, pies etc) were along a wall covered with little compartments. You would take your tray and walk along the wall, put your money (coins) into a slot of the compartment or little doored-cubbie, open the door and take out your pie, etc. As a child, it was such fun choosing what we were going to eat. You could see behind the glass door and see the person filling up the cubbies. They were dressed in white outfits and wore hairnets. Remember when people who handled food needed to wear hairnets? Wish they would go back to that again.
Honored Contributor

This is a great cherry sauce

http://www.food.com/recipe/cherry-sauce-458961