Honored Contributor

Do you have a spiralizer? Do you use it? Love it? I keep seeing these. . .

I have a friend who has one, but she doesn't cook, so I'm not going by HER recommendations! LOL!!! So do any of you have one, use it, love it, hate it?

So many of these kitchen gadgets come and go, I'd like an opinion on this one!

THANKS!

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a spiralizer? Do you use it? Love it? I keep seeing these. . .

I've never heard of this and I've been cooking for a thousand years - at least. hehe

Anyway, am I a bonehead? Am I missing out? Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Lisa Robertson posted a blog on her FB page today, showing how to use one, step by step. They look like a small, hand held grinder. You can get them anywhere, for about $10. Very easy to use, and you can shred many vegges instantly and use them in place of pasta in a meal.

Honored Contributor

On 4/1/2015 chickenbutt said:

I've never heard of this and I've been cooking for a thousand years - at least. hehe

Well, I'm not sure what we are missing, but they make long curly strands of veggies, especially zucchini, potatoes and carrots and I can see. I wondered was the zucchini REALLY good used as a pasta substitute on good this way raw for salads, and can you bake the potato spirals for crunchy fat-free "fries." I love crunchy food. .

I was thinking maybe sauteing the zucchini with some basil and tomato sauce for a side dish for broiled/grilled chicken or pork tenderloins this summer. Or maybe raw with homemade oil and vinegar dressing, tomatoes and parm cheese as a side salad. . .

Or put it in a casserole dish, put some "sauce" over it and bake with a crispy topping.

Honored Contributor

Ah, I see. Thanks for the description. Well, it sounds like it would be a very handy item IF a person would actually use it (more than once!). I don't know of any other way to make such a cut except kind of with a veg peeler, but it wouldn't be spiral-y. Smiley Happy Oh, and it would take a LOT longer.

Valued Contributor

I have one and love it! I love the zucchini with it!

Super Contributor

On 4/1/2015 Sooner said:
On 4/1/2015 chickenbutt said:

Well, I'm not sure what we are missing, but they make long curly strands of veggies, especially zucchini, potatoes and carrots and I can see. I wondered was the zucchini REALLY good used as a pasta substitute on good this way raw for salads, and can you bake the potato spirals for crunchy fat-free "fries." I love crunchy food. .

I was thinking maybe sauteing the zucchini with some basil and tomato sauce for a side dish for broiled/grilled chicken or pork tenderloins this summer. Or maybe raw with homemade oil and vinegar dressing, tomatoes and parm cheese as a side salad. . .

Or put it in a casserole dish, put some "sauce" over it and bake with a crispy topping.

Sooner, I am soooo envious of 'real cooks' like yourself! I need a recipe and have no imagination. It never occurs to me to experiment. But I'm now going to try some of your suggestions!

I can decorate they way that good cooks can create. Give me a yard of fabric and a drill, and I can rehabilitate a room in 10 minutes, lol. Smile

Respected Contributor

Yeah, I saw that on Lisa Robertson's FB page too. I think it makes long, skinny spirals so that your veggies can substitue for pasta. I never knew that such a thing existed. She's always posting recipes for vegetable dishes. I take it she's a vegetarian.

Respected Contributor

I think I need one. I feel the urge to spiralize.

Honored Contributor

Don't feel bad chickenbutt, I didn't know what it was either & I LOVE kitchen gadgets - just gotta have them. I don't want to miss out either LOL!

Sounds interesting. Does anyone have access to pictures by chance? Thanks!