Respected Contributor

Was asked if we would agree to purchase 10 lbs of kokor (you know what I am referring to Goldie, and I am so nauseated at the thought I can't type the whole word), to be made during our Easter Feast we are hosting, but Phillip and I as well as 38 other Guests also detest that so called appetizer and think it is gross.....so our first reaction is so sorry but no.....buy the items and make it in your own house.

P.S. We never ask Guests to bring anything but themselves, but many do bring wines, but that is it because they know we feel if we host a gathering we want them to not make anything, and just bring themselves to enjoy everything we prepared, and our Guest list is mostly Greek/Greek American relatives, friends, and a few non Greek friends and neighbors who also love Greek food, and have tasted our Greek food offerings regularly through the many years I have resided in my home.

(Of course if someone is on a special diet they can bring their own food, but so far we have never encountered that.)

What is your view Goldie, we have not given this person an answer yet.

This person expects us to buy 10 lbs of what is needed to make the kokor and again I can't even type the rest because I am nauseated now.... and cook it for them. Then there will be the remaining cooked 9 lbs of it in my refrigerator which he plans to take home. (We do not view our home as a take out restaurant).

I feel that request takes extreme audacity, even if it is coming from a relative of Phillip's who is not an elderly man but a professional person highly accomplished, and a bachelor of 36 years of age.

We really hate to say no but feel since this person already knows we detest that food as do others, he had no business asking us to begin with, and if he desires it then he should buy it and everything else needed to make an abundance of it in his own home. Let him deal with the expense, and very distinct aroma that meat gives off.

Do you think that we are we being unreasonable since it is our home, and many of us would be nauseated just thinking about this delicacy, let alone watching it be prepared, and smelling it being cooked?

When we placed our orders for a whole lamb and goat, we nixed having that also delivered.

Trusted Contributor
Please do not feel bad telling him no.I don't think you need to provide an excuse either,altho you certainly sound like you have many. Your Easter,your home,your guests you do not want to offend with that food & smell.
Valued Contributor
I agree. I'm sure you can decline the request in a hospitable and courteous, but firm manner. Do not waver.
Respected Contributor

Thanks so much for your replies I greatly appreciate them, but paged Goldie for a very specific reason.

I would not page her if it was not a very delicate situation and would just say sorry, no, we can't accommodate you and not post anything, but this is a highly delicate Greek issue which is why I paged her.

I only need HER specific opinion since she too is a Greek friend, and would totally understand what the underlying issues would be in this specific type of highly delicate situation.

She will probably reply sometime tonight since she works.

Thanks for understanding, and this was a page of only Goldie for a very specific reason. I hope no one was not offended, since that is not my intention at all, but really need her specific thoughts on this matter as she knows what I am referring to.

Valued Contributor

Adore, don't you & Goldie have each other's phone numbers or email addresses? That way you could discuss your situation privately with no (well-intentioned) intrusions.

Respected Contributor
On 4/1/2015 emerald said:

Adore, don't you & Goldie have each other's phone numbers or email addresses? That way you could discuss your situation privately with no (well-intentioned) intrusions.

Well intentioned are a blessing, and I do not consider them intrusions at all.

Valued Contributor

Well then I would just ignore his request. On Easter if/when he asks about it tell him you're not a fan of it so you didn't put it on the menu.

Honored Contributor

adore, I think that you and Phillip have the right to present your home (aromas and all) as you wish to your guests. If an invitee is insisting that you allow him to bring that foul-smelling "delicacy," he is out of line. Really, he is.

Just say something like this: "Niko, I appreciate that you wish to bring kokor to our home to help celebrate Easter, but neither I nor Phillip likes the smell of the delicacy. Please respect that we cannot tolerate that odor. It actually makes us nauseous. We are also worried that many of our guests would be sickened by the smell. Since we want nothing more than to have all our guests enjoy themselves, please do not bring any along. Enjoy it with other friends who can tolerate it in the privacy of your own home."

Oops, he requested that you make it. Just tell him you cannot prepare kokor for all the reasons cited above.

Of course I do not mind responding to you, adore. Don't worry.

Valued Contributor

I am intrigued by this kokor discussion, I am going to look up what it is!

Honored Contributor
On 4/1/2015 emerald said:

I am intrigued by this kokor discussion, I am going to look up what it is!

Kokoretsi. It is made from the intestines of lamb and goats. When it cooks, oh me oh my! I could vomit, I am sad to say.