Respected Contributor

Help me with some tricks and suggestions if anyone has any.

I googled last night until I couldn't google anymore, I'm confused as to how to get that whipped cream to hold up for more than one day.

Need to bake the cake (doing that chocolate sponge cake), making the syrup and then confused about where the cherries go and how to stabilize the whipping cream.

Trusted Contributor

Black Forest Cake is a delight.

Whipped Cream: Ultra-pasteurized heavy cream does not whip well. It has been flash heated to a very high temperature, which breaks down the structure. See if you can find regular pasturized heavy cream. Trader Joes has it. Whole Foods or a local health food store should. Always put your bowl and whip in the freezer to chill.

Stabilizing tricks: (1)A pasteurized cream with a high butterfat content (36%) will stay whipped. Unfortunately, this is very hard to find in the US. (2) Add some gelatin. 2 teasp. gelatin soaked in 2 Tbsp. cold water, warmed and beaten into the cream. (3) Start with some cream cheese or mascarpone, 4 oz. per 2 cups cream. Beat the cheese & sugar, gradually add the cream while beating.

Where the cherries go: Spread a layer of whipped cream on the bottom layer, Arrange the cherries in circles, not quite touching. for an 8-9" cake about 3 circles. Repeat with the second layer. Top with third cake layer. Frost the whole outside with whipped cream. Make a border around the top edge of the cake by piping rosettes of WC, top each with a cherry, Put shaved chocolate in the middle.

Save me a piece!

Honored Contributor

Fantastic question and thank you pas4116 for the terrific info! I also have trouble getting real whipped cream to stabilize and last! I have resorted to ....pls. don't yell at me...using cool whip sometimes because that 'stuff' lasts forever and doesn't taste that bad. But I know it is full of 'chemicals' and yucky stuff.

I appreciate the info and will definitely look for regular pasteurized at Trader Joe's. I didn't even know there was a difference!!

I love mascarpone and will add that to the heavy cream next time for sure.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for the tips!

Tomorrow night is the night I will try to make this monster of a cake.

Bought everything tonight for the filling, doing the chocolate sponge, need to get the kirsh and I think I'm ready to go. Probably end up being up all night, this will take time but I'm ready.

Respected Contributor

So I decided to bake the cake this morning and it turned out to perfection.

I made a chocolate sponge cake, 2 layer and remembered to put parchment paper on the bottom of the pan so I can remove it.

Went to my mom's tried and true recipes and this one was in the Parents Magazine Family Cookbook....this is how old it was...

First direction says "light oven and set for low heat 325 deg"

that made me smile .....I sure miss her.

Now I need to make the syrup, drain the cherries, whip the cream and assemble...that will definitely be the work there......I'm into making food items picture perfect.