Regular Contributor

Another thread brought this question to mind. Do you leave small counter top appliances plugged in or do you unplug them when not in use? We don't have much counter space, so the only things we keep on it are the toaster oven and coffee maker, both of which are unplugged after use. I really wouldn't keep anything plugged, with the exception of the microwave which I don't consider a small appliance anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

I leave my coffee maker ....can opener ...and toaster plugged in....unless there is a storm or I am going on vacation.

Valued Contributor
Unplugged ever since I saw a video of a toaster catching fire when NOT in use.
Honored Contributor

I related this story on that thread, so it does happen that appliances come on when they aren't supposed to.

My parents almost had their house burned down when an electric can opener started running by itself while they were on vacation,and ran until the motor burned out. It ignited the underside of a cabinet. Everything in the house was coated with a greasy black soot. Even things in the closets and dresser drawers were covered. Their insurance had one of those disaster clean-up teams come in and spend several weeks cleaning everything.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor
Do you unplug TV, lamps, etc?
Respected Contributor

Years ago my boss told me the toaster on their kitchen counter caught on fire (it wasn't being used at the time). Ever since then she had unplugged all appliances that weren't being used. I do the same.

That being said, I don't unplug tv's, radios, or lamps.....so I could be living in a fool's paradise!

Honored Contributor

i dont unplug anything.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor
On 3/30/2015 Kachina624 said:

I related this story on that thread, so it does happen that appliances come on when they aren't supposed to.

My parents almost had their house burned down when an electric can opener started running by itself while they were on vacation,and ran until the motor burned out. It ignited the underside of a cabinet. Everything in the house was coated with a greasy black soot. Even things in the closets and dresser drawers were covered. Their insurance had one of those disaster clean-up teams come in and spend several weeks cleaning everything.

What a horrible experience for your parents!

In the kitchen, I only leave the microwave plugged in and I no longer own a toaster. I don't unplug anything else unless I'm going on vacation.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't unplug anything either.

Respected Contributor

Always unplug anything with a heating element. Those appliances are the main cause of house fires along with hair appliances like curling irons, blow dryers, and flat irons. I have anything with a heating element unplugged when I'm not using them. I am skeptical about leaving a crock pot plugged in. I have only done it a few times when I was gone. I still prefer to use it on the weekends when I'm home.

I only leave my clothes dryer, stove, microwave, water heater and HVAC connected to the 220V plugs they are connected by. I don't leave anything else plugged in with heating elements.