Trusted Contributor

Those who cook: Where do you look for recipes?

I have a ton of cookbooks. They're all over the place in the house and I'm considering culling some of them, although it will probably kill me to do so. I don't buy a cookbook anymore unless it's one that I think I'll really use. Nor do I subscribe to many cooking magazine (just Cook's Country and America's Test Kitchen) anymore. I don't do Pinterest at all....did subscribe a while back, but when I started getting all these emails about this person and that person following me and realizing I don't know these people and when I talked to the people I did know, they didn't know they were following me. That's creepy and I deleted my membership. Pinterest seems very invasive to me sometimes, kind of like FB, with all the emails I was getting from them.

I go to allrecipes.com pretty much every time I need a recipe for something. And I check out a few cooking blogs from time to time. Often, I talk to friends to see what they have that's tried 'n' true, too. I also tend to fall back on my old tried 'n' true recipes way too often, esp the ones that I know DH really enjoys.

What do you do when you need a recipe for something?

Honored Contributor

Re: Those who cook: Where do you look for recipes?

Taste of Home is one I like to check out.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

The internet has recipes for everything under the sun.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

I have my go-to cookbooks and magazines that I've saved, as well as a LOT of recipes clipped over the years. I go to the Internet also, but one of my favorite places is right here on the Kitchen Forum. I've gotten some great recipes from posters, especially some for macaroni & cheese, and also one of my new absolutely favorite cake recipes, as well as more I want to try! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Trusted Contributor

I get most of my recipes from Pinterest. I have a huge cookbook collection, but since the dawn of Pinterest, I haven't opened a cookbook since. The endless, and I mean endless array of recipes gets somewhat addictive.....my husband calls me Pindiana Jones.....LOL!! I have made countless meals from the recipes there. Some were epic fails but for the most part they've been very successful. Lots of the recipes show step by step directions, which I love. Give it a try. You won't be disappointed.
Super Contributor

I love Pinterest and don't find it creepy at all. I have found some great recipes there and continue to make them again and again. There are also great gardening, home decor, crafting, etc. ideas. I save them to special boards for the ones I've tried. You can change your settings so that all your boards are private and no one can see them or invite just the people you want to see them. You can follow other pinners that have the same interests as you, therefore, the pins that show up for your consideration to re-pin will be something you are also interested in. Or, you can pin things from almost anywhere on the internet with the Pinterest button you install. It's like having a place to store all your magazine clippings for things you want to try, all in one place, with a separate bulletin board for each interest.

You can also change your notifications so that you don't get notified every time someone follows you. All that means is they like what you are pinning and your pins show up on their incoming board so they can consider re-pinning your pins. If you don't follow other pinners, either all or some boards of theirs to follow, you get random pins for consideration. Following others targets pins that should be of more interest to you. You can also block other pinners if you don't want them following you or unfollow them i you no longer want to see their pins. I think you may be missing the whole point of Pinterest. If other pinners are following you, they like your taste!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Best magazine I ever bought was the Taste of Home 'Fall Baking ' issue. Cost like 12, but, I was on vacation and let loose and glad I did. It's got your basic cooking ideas that's geared up for the common folk. None of this wild stuff that costs a fortune and you can't find anyway. Down home down to earth recipes. I got my French bread recipe out of there that now I use all the time and crescent rolls that got me started adding one cup of white whole wheat now to my bread recipes along with the bread flour.

Library has tons of materials and the latest books that the Q advertises. I don't pay 20 for cookbooks when I can copy from the lib.

Honored Contributor

F11809

is the 2nd cookbook from these folks. The first one my library has still called 'Back in the Day' it has really good recipes too.

Super Contributor

The Internet--and I look at the ratings for recipes by the people who have tried them-like on the site All Recipes. No room for cookbooks.

Honored Contributor

bakingcircle.com also, King Arthur website I have got some great recipes from them. they just now sent me one called 'amish dinner rolls' I'm on my way to printing out.