Honored Contributor

~~~~ something old, something new ~~~~

Name one tried and true product that you've been using in your home or kitchen for many, many years.

Name one more recently discovered product that you really like.

Smile

My choice for "old" is Mr. Clean. It has been my household cleanser of choice for decades.

My choice for "new" is my floor steamer. I can't imagine using a mop and water like I did for so many years.

How 'bout you?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: ~~~~ something old, something new ~~~~

The "old" tried & true item is Dawn dish washing liquid. It not only cleans dishes great but I keep a bottle in the laundry area to dab onto grease stains & it takes them out every time.

Mmmmmm, the "new" item??? I'll think on that one.

Super Contributor

I too love and have used Dawn,,and their 'soak' one too. the new I really like is that goofy Scrub Daddy. I use it to the very end and he really looks sad and begins to shed, then I know it's time for a newbie.

Esteemed Contributor

My 'old' item would be blue Dawn. Used it for years.

'New' would be parchment paper. Found a roll on sale at TJ Maxx and wonder how I lived without it! I hate stuck on baked goodies.

Honored Contributor

Another one whose "old" is Dawn. My "new" is a magnetic knife strip that I have mounted above the kitchen sink. I don't have enough counter space and I like the space to not be cluttered, so this was a perfect solution for me. It is also in the perfect location for easy, quick access.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Zhills, I considered parchment paper as my choice, as well. After struggling through a few rolls of it and fighting with it to lay flat, I found it in sheets and it's changed my life in the kitchen. I try to use environmentally friendly products, but there are times when I just need my parchment paper... like making ice cream cakes, which are a family favorite. They pull right out with the parchment. I've had wax paper wimp out on me, but the parchment never does.

Also, Snickster, is the magnetic strip safe for the knives? I'm thinking about getting one. My mom never allowed knives to be out in sight. She said if an intruder were to come in he'd have easy access to a weapon, but seriously, how much harder would it be for an intruder to grab a knife from my top drawer?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Yeah, I love my parchment paper too. I've been using it for years now. As for the knife strip, I wondered about the possibility of nicking the knives, but I've had mine for a couple months now and have not had any problem so far. I am careful when I pull one off or replace them, to place them straight on and not bang the edge onto the magnetic strip. It also holds my kitchen shears.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

My old, that I am never without, would be Lysol Kitchen Antibacterial Spray. I use it all the time to spray down the counter and cutting boards. The new would be our Cuisinart Ceramic cookware that we just bought ... LOVE IT!!

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/27/2015 snickster said:

Another one whose "old" is Dawn. My "new" is a magnetic knife strip that I have mounted above the kitchen sink. I don't have enough counter space and I like the space to not be cluttered, so this was a perfect solution for me. It is also in the perfect location for easy, quick access.

I have a Cutco knife holder that goes on the end of the cabinet next to the sink. It's "old."

I've had it at least 40 years. Wouldn't give it up; just love it! It's so nice having knives out to access quickly.

Regular Contributor

My oldie-my KitchenAid 6 qt. mixer-12 years old.Looks and runs like new.

My newest -my Shark Lift away vacuum.