Respected Contributor

What's cooking today with my QVC pals?

I am frying the Jamaican Salt Cod Fish Fritters later today with Greek style infused garlic mashed potatoes and sliced beets, as well as a tomato and smoked mozzarella salad with oil, vinegar, and Greek oregano.

Some Greek Retsina wine will be enjoyed along with some freshly baked Semolina bread which I made yesterday.

I already posted the above recipe on this forum a while back, but if anyone else would like to have it please advise.

So what are my QVC pals planning to cook today?

P.S. Goldie I wish I could express some to you dear friend, because they are light and as delicious as our Greek bakalaros fried cod fish cakes and fritters.

Trusted Contributor

Re: What's cooking today with my QVC pals?

Recipe please for Jamaican Salt Cod Fish Fritters.

Boop

Respected Contributor

Here you go Boop ......enjoy!

Jamaican saltfish fritters
Jamaican Cod fish Fritters

(I am soaking 2 lbs because we love leftovers and have them cold from the fridge the next day, with cold Greek garlic Mashed potatoes and freshly sauteed spinach.

(I also adjust my recipe according to how much cod fish I will be using).

Ingredients: - Serves 4-5 people
  • ½ pound boneless salted cod fish
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
  • ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
  • ½ medium onion finely diced
  • A few dashes of hot Tabasco sauce
  • 3-tablespoon fresh minced parsley
  • 1 teaspoon fresh minced dill
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • Freshly grated pepper to taste
  • Vegetable oil for frying (about 3 cups)
Instructions:

1. Soak salt fish in water overnight or several days (water changed several times). Drain and shred fish using a food processor to achieve a really fine shred. If not finely shred by hands.
  2. Combine the dry ingredients, flour baking powder, smoked paprika, and granulated garlic. Stir for about a minute then add onions, salted shredded fish, dill, hot sauce, parsley and egg.
  3. Whisk until ingredients have been blended. Then add milk gradually starting from about 1/3 cup until desired thickness.
  4. Adjust seasonings.
  5. You may have to do a test taste first
  6. Heat oil to 350 degrees in a skillet or sauce pan. You may also use the oil test by dropping a 1-inch square of bread into the oil. If it takes 60 seconds to brown, then the oil is at around 350 degrees.
  7. Carefully place spoonfuls of the batter into the hot oil and fry for 3-4- minutes, or until the fritters are crisp and golden-brown (you may need to do this in batches). Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
  8. You may drain on bounty paper towels to remove any excess oil.

Skordalia Greek Garlic Mashed Potato

- Photo © Lynn Livanos Athan

It’s easiest to make this in a food processor or blender, but the traditional method of beating the ingredients in a mortar with a pestle would work just as well. My Vita Mix works wonders on this recipe for the Skordalia, as does my Kitchen Aid 13 cup food processor.

I used to use the old fashioned version of using the mortar and pestle, but for expediency sake I now resort to either kitchen appliances.

Skordalia: Total Time: 30 Minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 pounds of potatoes for boiling
  • 6-12 cloves of garlic, minced or grated (to taste)
  • 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/3 cup of good quality red or white wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper

Preparation:

Add the salt to a large pot of water. Peel the potatoes and boil in salted water until well done (easily pierced with a fork). Drain.

Sprinkle the potatoes with pepper and mash.

In the blender bowl of the food processor (or with a hand mixer), purée the potatoes and garlic until well mixed, about 30-45 seconds. Still pureeing, slowly add the olive oil and vinegar, alternating between them, tasting as you go, until the mixture is smooth. Skorthalia should be creamy and thick. If it gets too thick, add a little cold water (not more than 1/4 cup).

Yield: About 2-3 cups

To prepare by hand:

Mash potatoes with garlic. Drizzle in the olive oil and vinegar slowly, alternating between them, mashing well. Add pepper. This version may be grainier, but the taste is wonderful!

Note: Skordalia is a matter of taste. Some prefer a mild garlic taste, while others prefer a strong garlic taste. If the taste is too strong, adjust the quantities of potatoes or bread up a bit. If the taste is not strong enough, increase the garlic.

Respected Contributor

Garlic Mashed Potatoes.......various options:

1) Make fresh mashed potatoes with roasted garlic squeezed into them and then add your salt, pepper, butter, milk or cream and whip them well.

2) Add minced fresh garlic cloves (about 5), and continue with same as above.

3) Add dried garlic spice and whip them well, etc.

Trusted Contributor

Sounds yummy. Thanks

Boop

Respected Contributor

On 3/26/2015 flbettyboop said:

Sounds yummy. Thanks

Boop

You are very welcome Boop, and we just ate it all, and it was so good!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I made a sandwich for lunch, sprouted wheat bread with hummus, avocado, alfalfa sprouts, red bell pepper and tomato. Later we are grilling some chicken wings and I'm making a salad.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

Your Easter Feast on another discussion thread has me thinking that when I grocery shop again next week, I'm going to pick up eggplant and make moussaka. Haven't decided on the entire menu as yet. Thank you!!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

On 3/27/2015 jaxs mom said:

I made a sandwich for lunch, sprouted wheat bread with hummus, avocado, alfalfa sprouts, red bell pepper and tomato. Later we are grilling some chicken wings and I'm making a salad.

This is a very delicious menu, and I hope you all enjoyed it.

Thanks for posting it jaxs mom.

Respected Contributor

On 3/27/2015 seaside shopper said:

Your Easter Feast on another discussion thread has me thinking that when I grocery shop again next week, I'm going to pick up eggplant and make moussaka. Haven't decided on the entire menu as yet. Thank you!!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

You're very welcome seaside shopper, and that is on of our very Greek favorites!