Regular Contributor

Guiltless Gourmet Veggie Burgers...delicious or gross?

Have any of you tried these?

I saw the presentation and was intrigued...I'd like to have something quick and easy to pull out of the freezer and I'm trying to cut back on meat. The reviews are so polar opposite...some say they're delicious, others the grossest thing ever.

I requested the nutrition info from customer service and and am a little concerned about some ingredients. The California has anchovies in them, and I despise most seafood so not sure if that'd be all I'd taste. I'm a mushroom fanatic, so I was going to try those...but MSG is in the ingredients. Not sure how I feel about that.

Healthwise these don't seem that great...BUT, if they're easy and tasty, I'll try them.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Guiltless Gourmet Veggie Burgers...delicious or gross?

If the ""California"" has anchovies in them they are not VEGGIE burgers. I don't know anything about the brand you're referring to but Ive been a vegetarian for over 20 years. There are lots of good vegetarian quick things these days. Look in your local grocery or health food store. Being a 'vegetarian is pretty simple these days. Good luck. Even if you don't go completely veg the vegetarian things are good sometimes.
Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

Hi, I have t tried the one you mentioned, but my favroite burgers are Boca American Flamed Grilled. They are soyburgers that taste Burger King burgers.
Honored Contributor

I think they would be ""gassy"". But I'm just sayin'.

Respected Contributor

If something has fiber, and you are not used to eating fiber, then, yes, they can make you "gassy"...

This is why people are advised to dd fiber gradually to their diet, rather than to just go crazy with it...

Contributor

Gross, no matter how I cooked them they were MUSHY.

Honored Contributor

If you are looking for a quick and easy veggie burger, Costco has two options, one in the deli section (which I believe has egg, so not vegan but veggie) and the frozen which is vegan. Both are pretty tasty, especially when you add all the fixens and some sweet potato fries! Another option, although not as "quick and easy", but pretty quick from scratch is to check out making your own, just google veggie/vegan patties. I've made them with mushrooms and lentils as well as nuts and brown rice. It is not a staple in our diet, but a treat food and it is fun to make. All of these options are nutritious and tasty. Also Whole Foods offers Wildwood veggie burgers (which I believe are soy based) in different flavors like teriyaki. All of these options have gotten favorable reviews, even when I've made for my non veggie friends. Have fun exploring the world of veggie burgers!

Honored Contributor

Not exactly guiltless, if, as most Americans, you consime too much sodium. Read the label for sugar and sodium content, not just for calories and fat. I LOVE some commercially produced veggie burgers, but don't eat them too often based on the sodium content.
Frequent Contributor

I tried the guitless veggie burgers once, they were mushy and gross. I threw most of them away!
Trusted Contributor

I have given up on veggie burgers. They are basically a 'processed' food described as a healthy option. Homemade recipes usually are a lot of ingredients, a lot of work, and still disappointing. I've never tasted one that was a good substitute for a meat burger. IMO: you're better off just eating the cheese, tomato, lettuce, pickle and condiments on a whole wheat bun and skip the 'burger'.

On edit: I like the big portabella mushroom caps as a sub for a burger patty. Not everyone likes them, though.