Honored Contributor

I finally got my "free" Le Creuset Dutch oven! Now how do I care for it?

I've been saving my rewards points for what feels like a million years and I finally had enough to order my Le Crueset 7 1/4 qt. Dutch oven. I got it from Wayfair through Amazon, used and "like new". I hope I'm happy with the condition when I receive it.

Which brings me to the next question for those of you who already own this brand - are there certain things I should NOT DO TO OR WITH THIS PAN? Please tell me before I ruin it.

Thank you.

I chose palm green. It was so hard to choose.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Re: I finally got my ""free"" Le Creuset Dutch oven! Now how do I care for it?

Depending on the knob on the lid-If you want to put it in a really hot oven-you'll have to replace the synthetic knob with a metal one.

I have Staub enameled cast iron and regular cast iron. I clean the Staub with a lightly abrasive sponge and kosher salt. No dishwasher. It's HEAVY!. Keep it on a lower shelf, so you won't hurt yourself-if it should fall, (Yikes!). Heat it before you put the food in, (Like SS) to minimize sticking. Careful if you have a glass top stove or tempered glass cutting board-it could crack/scratch it. Keep all your receipts-it has a warranty. Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Thanks, Lacey. The description says it's a composite knob that can withstand heat up to 500 degrees. I don't think I'll ever need to challenge that.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

On 3/14/2015 Sharke said:

http://www.lecreuset.com/care

Thank you, Sharke!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

I just wash all of mine with hot water and soap. Then I dry them and put them away. You don't have the kind of care needed to maintain the nekkid cast iron, due to the enamel coating.

I wouldn't use high heat unless you're boiling water. Even then you don't need to use high heat, as you really never do anyway. Also, you don't want to use metal utensils. I have a massive collection of wood, silicone, and nylon utensils. All of those are great.

Valued Contributor

On 3/14/2015 chickenbutt said:

I just wash all of mine with hot water and soap. Then I dry them and put them away. You don't have the kind of care needed to maintain the nekkid cast iron, due to the enamel coating.

I wouldn't use high heat unless you're boiling water. Even then you don't need to use high heat, as you really never do anyway. Also, you don't want to use metal utensils. I have a massive collection of wood, silicone, and nylon utensils. All of those are great.

I do the same thing, although I will go up to med-high heat. I even use my inversion blender, as my squash soup recipes are oven-roasted to stovetop/counter finish. Sometimes I use Bon Ami on mine when the grey marks are significant. They come right off. I just love good enameled cast iron.
Trusted Contributor

On 3/14/2015 Sharke said:

OMGOODNESS - how cool is that !

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/14/2015 house_cat said:

Thanks, Lacey. The description says it's a composite knob that can withstand heat up to 500 degrees. I don't think I'll ever need to challenge that.

Mine have the standard phenolic knobs. I put them in very hot ovens and the knobs never melted.

Over time, some of the knobs become loose with use. Make sure to tighten them. I didn't and they got lost. I went to the LC store to get the replacements. They tried to push the higher temperature tolerant knobs and I asked what would happen to the standard knobs under the same temperatures. She didn't have an answer.

LC and all cast iron retain heat very well. You don't need to use high fire on it.

Congrats on your new toy!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.