Contributor

Is the nonstick in the Ninja PFOA/PFTE safe?

I wrote twice asking if the interior of the TSV is PFOA/PFTE safe? I asked the question in the q&a section below the description of the Ninja. My question was not even posted. The reason I asked was because I was trying to decide between the Ninja and the Cuisinart 6 quart multicooker which does have an interior that if PFOA safe.It is the same as the Ninja. If you go to Bed Bath and Beyond they order it for you , plus your coupon plus free shipping. You can also find it on Amazon.
Super Contributor

Re: Is the nonstick in the Ninja PFOA/PFTE safe?

I want the glass lid.
Contributor

The Cuisinart also has a glass lid.
Super Contributor

This is a good question, and important. Does anyone know?
Super Contributor

The nonstick contains PTFE. I called Customer Service before ordering it, and they confirmed it for me.

Super Contributor

DOES contain PTFE? What the heck? Do companies not get that ingesting carcinogens is just not ok....nor yummy?! Thanks Kathya! I guess I am canceling my order. I will go buy the porcelain potted Lorena Garcia item at HSN instead. It is half the price too.
Super Contributor

Glad to be of assistance.

I was under the impression that nonstick containing PTFE was being phased out. I wonder if these are the tail line of a production run by Ninja.

I can't tell you how disappointed I was to hear that this contained PTFE. I wanted to replace my aging Crock-Pot with this, but when I heard PTFE was involved, I deleted the order. The gases produced by even slightly overheated PTFE are lethal to pet parrots. I tossed all of my nonstick when we got our first parrot in 1999 (we have five now), and didn't buy any more until I saw a set of three MarkCharles Masilli ceramic nonstick frying pans on clearance last summer. They're great to cook with, and unlike stainless steel, cleanup is a breeze.

Super Contributor

Wow! Just spoke to Ninja company via their chat! What an unhelpful, evasive bunch of sheisters! I am canceling my Ninja cooker order right now. Until these companies remove known carcinogens from their products, and until they provide complete transparency about what is in the cookware, without trying to evade my direct questions, they are not getting my money. What a shame!
Super Contributor

I had the same problem with Calphalon when I called about a new cookware line they were introducing several years ago (I think it was the One line). They refused to tell me if the nonstick contained PTFE, and cited 'proprietary issues' -- basically, they acted as if I was an industrial spy, even though I'd explained that I was concerned for the health of our birds. I never bought a piece of Calphalon again. My last full set of cookware was Cuisinart stainless, purchased in Sam's (it's gorgeous -- I call it bling for my stove, and 14 pieces were only $140), augmented by a 3-piece set of frying pans from MarkCharles Masilli that's made with ceramic non-stick (and I wish I could find a larger frying pan in that same style -- I love them to death).

Contributor

On 3/11/2015 kathya1119 said:

Glad to be of assistance.

I was under the impression that nonstick containing PTFE was being phased out. I wonder if these are the tail line of a production run by Ninja.

I can't tell you how disappointed I was to hear that this contained PTFE. I wanted to replace my aging Crock-Pot with this, but when I heard PTFE was involved, I deleted the order. The gases produced by even slightly overheated PTFE are lethal to pet parrots. I tossed all of my nonstick when we got our first parrot in 1999 (we have five now), and didn't buy any more until I saw a set of three MarkCharles Masilli ceramic nonstick frying pans on clearance last summer. They're great to cook with, and unlike stainless steel, cleanup is a breeze.

Kathya, My brother has 2 birds and that is how I knew about the fumes. I too only have pans that are ptfe free. I have been researching and have found on the Cuisinart site one of the answers was that the insert is BPA free. There is also a good video explaining the cooker. Just go to Cuisinart. com. When I went to the bed bath and beyond site someone asked about the Cuisinart insert. The reply was it is not teflon and it is a quantum 2 material which is ceramic. I am going to call Cuisinart tomorrow to get more info.