Esteemed Contributor
I go through this every St. Patrick's Day. Which cut is the best, or is it just a matter of taste? This year I am having company and want the food to be good. Every year I make this dish and it just never seems to be that tender or that good. Do you cook it on the stove or in a slow cooker?
Super Contributor

I just cook on the stove, buy the cheaper cut , looking for the leanest. It should be tender no matter which cut you buy, better to cook low and longer, about 3 hours . If done early it will keep well, I them take it out, keep warm in the oven and do the veggies. As of yet I have never had a tough corned beef, also make sure you cut it across the grain. Tries pressure cooker once, yuck, much too salty.

Honored Contributor

""flat"" makes the best-looking slices.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Contributor
For me, I'm not too particular about the cut, but I think the point cut tends to be a bit fattier, which I don't mind because I use that part for breakfast the next morning with eggs. But might I suggest you think about baking your corned beef with a Dijon mustard and brown sugar rub. I started cooking mine this way years ago and would never go back to the stovetop way. Hope this is helpful.
Contributor
I cook mine in a slow cooker. All I do is add corned beef spice blend, a can or bottle of beer and water to almost cover the meat. I start it on high for an hour then turn down to cook a total of 10 hrs....best and most tender due to the beer.
Honored Contributor

I'm going to try the beer this year. I usually use the slow cooker.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor
On 3/8/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

I'm going to try the beer this year. I usually use the slow cooker.

I highly recommend the beer. I also use beer when I cook a ham. Delicious!

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Valued Contributor

I buy flat cut. I usually put two in a large pot, cover with water, add the spices and boil very slow for several hours. Then I add fresh cabbage and new potatoes. Serve mine with horseradish. Leftovers are for Reubans the next day. Yum Yum.

Beckyblu

Honored Contributor

p.s. And yes, I'm going to cook two together. Tired of only one quickly disappearing in no time at all!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I tend to buy the flat cut for appearance only.

Cooking long enough is the key, and as others said cut against the grain. I usually cut at a 45 degree angle so you have a larger piece of meat.

I smoke mine on the grill so I don't season it at all, but I used to cook them in chicken broth along with the seasonings they come with. I put those in a tea ball. Slow cooked it and then foiled it to keep warm while I cooked the cabbage and other veggies in the liquid from the corned beef.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*