Honored Contributor

What's your favorite fish to buy at the store?

I'm doing Gorton's now, and salmon is not a favorite, so we can skip that one. Hubby doesn't care for it either. I want to try and eat more fish I think. Coleslaw sounds like a good idea to go with fish. Those ideas would help too. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: What's your favorite fish to buy at the store?

We like fresh salmon and halibut the best.

Esteemed Contributor

Fresh WILD salmon; never farmed fish. Ever.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Esteemed Contributor

Mine is sockeye salmon, but I cannot always find it. If I make salmon, I don't make any sides - just the fish.

I like the Gorton's flounder. My aunt used to have the best flounder in her restaurant with her homemade tartar sauce!

Honored Contributor

I usually don't cook fish at home, but when we dine out we like any white fish broiled.

Honored Contributor

We like shrimp too.

Frequent Contributor

We love shrimp, lazy man's lobster, crab, tilapia, cod, steamed clams, salmon

Honored Contributor

Shrimp is about it for me...I don't like the aftereffects of cooking fish at home.

Even when we get take out Friday fish fries - the garbage gets thrown out immediately!

I like a simple slaw with fish -

One bag broccoli slaw, dill pickle juice (or vinegar), mayo and CREOLE mustard (it has to be Creole for the right effect).

Simple and healthy!

Honored Contributor

I don't know anything about what Gorton offers but I would not do this. And please don't take this the wrong way but this would just remind me of Mrs Paul's fish (sticks).

If you're wanting to try fish buy FRESH. We love to eat fish and we eat a lot of it. We can't do any white ocean fish b/c my husband is allergic - anaphilatic (sp?) shock, throat closes immediately. I've not witnessed this myself but when he was growing up this happened twice and once (in hs) ended up driving himself to the hospital, barely made it in time.

Anyway, buy fresh fish. We love tilapia (filets & loin), salmon, catfish, shrimp, crab, lobster. He loves the more 'steaky' as in tuna, swordfish, loves clams.

Lately, we've been eating a LOT of salmon b/c I've finally figured out how to not over cook it. Fish does not take any time at all to cook to it's an easy quick meal to make. Of course I prefer wild caught but it's hard to find it unless you go to a real butcher store. But I will buy farm fresh.

Venture out from Gorton's and certainly enjoy what you choose to try - I think you'll be amazed. Cole slaw is great with fish, along with traditional fish & 'chips' (fries).

Respected Contributor

terrier3,that slaw recipe sounds really good. I like to try new versions so thanks for posting this.