Honored Contributor
What brand do you think makes the best knives.I have the old Henkles but I guess the new ones aren't as good.I would like to buy my son a nice set with a block for his news home.Thanks for any help you can offer.
Honored Contributor

Cutco!

But you'll probably only going to be able to get him a chef's knife for the price of other knives with a block. He would use it a lot though (and their steak knives are good for all purpose too).

Super Contributor
On 3/4/2015 lolakimono said:

Cutco!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

But you'll probably only going to be able to get him a chef's knife for the price of other knives with a block. He would use it a lot though (and their steak knives are good for all purpose too).

Absolutely Cutco! When my daughter was in high school, I bought one knife from one of her classmates selling Cutco. She's 46 and I'm still using that knife, in addition to the entire set I bought later, as a result of that sale. That's longevity! It's worth checking out their sales, dex!

Trusted Contributor

It depends upon budget, how they will be used, and how often they will be used.

Cutco is good for people who are unable or unwilling to maintain knives. They are not very good for serious knife work, but for most home cooking, they probably will be just fine. A plus is that Cutco will sharpen then for you and little maintenance is required.

For more serious cooks, something like Wustoff. The Wustoff has the largest open stock selection on the market, and they are good knives, but they must be maintained which requires regular use of a steel and professional sharpening once a year or so. Wustoff is great for those desiring a German blade profile. Sabatier-K and Elephant Sabatier are both great for those preferring a French profile (my preference).

Finally, Japanese knives are great. I like Shun which are the sharpest out of the box. Shun will also resharpen then for fee, but they must be sent in.

Super Contributor
On 3/4/2015 KYToby said:

It depends upon budget, how they will be used, and how often they will be used.

Cutco is good for people who are unable or unwilling to maintain knives. They are not very good for serious knife work, but for most home cooking, they probably will be just fine. A plus is that Cutco will sharpen then for you and little maintenance is required.

For more serious cooks, something like Wustoff. The Wustoff has the largest open stock selection on the market, and they are good knives, but they must be maintained which requires regular use of a steel and professional sharpening once a year or so. Wustoff is great for those desiring a German blade profile. Sabatier-K and Elephant Sabatier are both great for those preferring a French profile (my preference).

Finally, Japanese knives are great. I like Shun which are the sharpest out of the box. Shun will also resharpen then for fee, but they must be sent in.

A wee bit presumptuous, are we?

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/4/2015 LoopyLoo said:
On 3/4/2015 lolakimono said:

Cutco!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Absolutely Cutco! When my daughter was in high school, I bought one knife from one of her classmates selling Cutco. She's 46 and I'm still using that knife, in addition to the entire set I bought later, as a result of that sale. That's longevity! It's worth checking out their sales, dex!

Another vote for Cutco!

My Mom needed a good knife and I gave her my Cutco Double D that I had for 5 years or so.

I want it back. Of course, I will never tell her that, but that's how I feel.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

I learned this from my 86 year old dad: there are Henckles and there are 'HENCKLES". The difference being you must buy the knives made in Germany and not in China or wherever... They do sell them at BB&B. They are expensive but quite good. Wustoff's are also quite good.

Those are the only knives I have used so, I can't speak to others.

Honored Contributor
Ok thanks everyone you have given me a lot to work on...never heard of cutco so will do some checking.
Super Contributor

Lamson Sharp, made in the USA, I love my set.

Honored Contributor
Lawson sharp another brAnd I haven't heard of...boy there are so many choices.