Respected Contributor

Does a Rice Cooker Really Make Rice Fluffy?

I don't know anything about a rice cooker other than other gadget to buy. Could you tell me for what you use it for?

Valued Contributor

Re: Does a Rice Cooker Really Make Rice Fluffy?

I used to have a rice cooker. To me it was not any better than cooking in a saucepan on top of the stove. Plus the rice cooker I purchased had an aluminum inset pot and the rice would stick to that. I quit using the rice cooker and went back to my original cooking method. I don't think that the rice was any fluffier with the rice cooker. Good luck with your decision. Maybe others have had a better experience with theirs.

Respected Contributor

Thank you I always wondered about a rice cooker.I won't be buying. Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

I have had a Wolfgang Puck rice cooker for several years. I do use it for rice for the simple reason that the pot doesn't have to be "watched". If you have other things to do in the kitchen, this is a blessing. It also turns off when the rice is done and automatically adjusts the controls to "keep warm". Yes, it is fluffy. I mostly use it to steam vegetables. Esp broccoli and cauliflower so that the veggies stay crisp. Works great for that.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

I've had a Zojirushi for years and it makes great rice. The keep warm setting is a huge benefit too.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

On 3/4/2015 Cookie06 said:

I used to have a rice cooker. To me it was not any better than cooking in a saucepan on top of the stove. Plus the rice cooker I purchased had an aluminum inset pot and the rice would stick to that. I quit using the rice cooker and went back to my original cooking method. I don't think that the rice was any fluffier with the rice cooker. Good luck with your decision. Maybe others have had a better experience with theirs.

Totally ditto the above!! (except I still have the thing which is taking up valuable real estate in my kitchen!)

Sadly is on the top of my list of things I shouldn't have wasted my money on.

Just my experience and opinion....I know others have loved theirs. Wish I did!

Respected Contributor

My 1.5 cup puck rice cooker makes perfect rice. I cook lots of other things in it, too. Love it. Ifyou get a cooker, it might take a couple of times to figure out exactly how much rice, water to use. I love it.
Honored Contributor

On 3/4/2015 jaxs mom said:

I've had a Zojirushi for years and it makes great rice. The keep warm setting is a huge benefit too.

I have a similar type rice cooker (fuzzy logic), we love it. We use it all the time, and in our opinion, it does make better rice.

We don't consider it a "gadget."

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

I don't have a special rice cooker, but I do cook rice in my crockpot. I did it the first time for my dog, but I was so impressed with the fluffiness of the rice that I started to use it for us people too. Obviously it's slow - it's a slow cooker - but I much prefer the result over cooking it more quickly on the stove.

Honored Contributor

I also bought the mini 1.5 cup WP rice cooker. Love it. It does make fluffy rice. I have always made instant rice in the past. It's nice for just the 2 of us. If I already have some leftover rice I can put some thin cut pork chops in the RC & have dinner ready pretty quick. The pork chops with gravy & rice are really good & just make a salad to go with it. It also makes good beef stew. I can put in the meat, potatoes, carrots, onions & it makes 2 servings of beef stew. Comes in handy when I just want to make a small amount. It makes yummy mac n' cheese & so easy. I'm going to try the banana nut bread in it soon to see how it turns out. If I had not bought the cookbook with the RC I would have no idea what to cook in it. I thought it just made rice.