Respected Contributor

I can't make creamy oatmeal for the life of me.Something that sounds so easy and simple I can't do. Do you make it in the microwave? What kind of oatmeal do you use I have been using Old Fashioned Oatmeal. Help! I am so pathetic!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: How To Make Creamy Oatmeal?

Maybe you should try the quick cooking oats,they are less substansial so they are creamier.
Honored Contributor

Or just buy the instant packs. Just empty a pack in a bowl and add water and microwave. If you want them looser, add more water. I do not like milk in mine but perhaps add milk that might make it creamier.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

Try making it with milk, or 1/2n1/2 instead of water. I like to put butter on the finished product.

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Regular Contributor

If you microwave, try using 50% power for 3 minutes. (I learned this from when I used NutriSystem years ago. )
Smile, it makes everyone wonder what you're up to!
Joined QVC boards long before the last two conversions!
Honored Contributor

I eat the old fashioned oats every morning. I cook it on the stove for 5 minutes. I make it with water and then pour in a little bit of almond milk after it's cooked to make it creamy.

Oatmeal gets thick the longer it sits, IMO. My husband makes his almost soupy. I don't like it like that. LOL

Frequent Contributor

This always works for me: Combine water/milk and oats in the pot at the beginning. Bring to a boil together, then cook according to the time in the directions. Box directions always say to bring the water to a boil separately, then add oats, --- but mixing them together at the beginning, then cooking, always results in creamy oatmeal for me. I hope this works for you, too.
Respected Contributor

I agree - I also put the oats in with the liquid (I use milk) in the beginning rather than adding them after the liquid is boiling. I think it helps soften them up.

Respected Contributor

My Mom taught me to make creamy oatmeal(Avena). I use Old-Fashioned Oats and 1/2 water and 1/2 milk. You can use one or the other or a combination of both. The more milk the creamier it is. Add the oatmeal, milk/water and pinch of salt to the pot. You can also add fruit, cinnamon and vanilla.

Here's the key: Let it sit for at least 5 minutes before cooking. The longer it sits, the creamier it is. Works everytime! DH makes his the traditional way. You can see every flake and its never creamy. He doesn't like mine. He says it's like Baby Pablum. I love it! Hope you enjoy it too!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Esteemed Contributor

I use the microwave Quaker oats, water tastes terrible in it. I always use milk and that makes it more creamy and it tastes much better then water.