Valued Contributor

Need suggestions for cooktop

I need to replace my cooktop. I have enamel (almond). I am wondering if any of you have experience with a stainless cooktop. They look nice, but are they hard to keep looking nice.

Valued Contributor

Re: Need suggestions for cooktop

I would not recommend stainless appliances. They are extremely hard to keep looking clean. I went from a white stove to a black/stainless and now I'm stuck with it. I love how it cooks and bakes, but I am constantly wiping, polishing to make it look nice. It shows every speck of dust, lint and fingerprints..

This is just my opinion, of course...

Frequent Contributor

To gtx:

I have a glass cook top and wouldn't recommend this at all - it's hard to keep clean and I can't wait to change it out. We recently purchased a condo and this was already here. I was excited about it at first but soon realized I'd rather have something else.

Honored Contributor

I am sticking with my old electric burners. I never have to worry what type of cookware I can use with it. I can always replace the burner pans. It doesn't scratch or require all the polishing of stainless. It is practical, but it does not help to have if you are selling your home now. If you want to see all options and learn tons, go to my favorite decor website, HOUZZ.com. The site will have a million high quality pictures of cook tops and there will be many questions answered about them.

Valued Contributor

ptagirl, Gal, and Mindy D, thank you so much for your responses. So far I am leaning toward my old-style electric burners with enamel.

Respected Contributor

I have a glass cook top that I'm not wild about (came with the house). Easy to clean, but the heat cycling doesn't give me a sense of control.

If money were no object, I'd get an induction stove top in a minute. Second choice is gas cook top.

Denise
Regular Contributor

I have a stainless Wolf restaurant quality cooktop. The burners are very large and heavy so the stainless is not really seen that much. The burners get so hot they actually clean themselves. The stainless is easy to wipe clean. The best cooktop I have ever owned. Bought it as a display model from an independent appliance dealer and saved $$$.

Frequent Contributor

I hate my glasstop stove. I've been cooking for nearly 40 years and see no big advantages to a glass top but many disadvantages. Lots of maintenance required on a daily basis. Any slight bubble over of a pan leaves a huge spot of burned on gunk. Special cleaners and sponges are required to clean the glass top. If something happens to a burner, you can't replace just one burner element. The whole glasstop needs to be replaced.

Trusted Contributor

Would never be without my glass cooktop. We put it in about 10 years ago when we did a whole kitchen addition and remodel. Hated cleaning the burners on the old stoves!

It looks as good today as when we got it, thanks to Cerama Bryte (just for reference. It is readily available. Our bottle came with our stove). A little goes a long way! A little on a paper towel, rub gently in circles...Voilá!! There are no scratches on my cooktop! As good as new!

Gloria

Honored Contributor

Now I love my glass top . It's my second one and it looks as good as it did brand new. Easy to clean, heats up fast., sleek look. Just need new cookware now.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}