Valued Contributor

Any trick for removing burned-on gunk from a SS pan?

Hi Ladies,

I used a pan tonight that I rarely use. It's a plain, stainless pan (I think it's an oldie from the Wolfgang Puck line that I found at TJ Maxx). I made shrimp for quesedillas and they got a little stuck. Shrimp turned out great, but the pan has about a 1/4 of the bottom that is scorched. And I really don't understand how that happened b/c everything cooked beautifully. Anyhoo, besides letting it sit and soak for a while, are their any tricks for removing this? I've already scrubbed with Scrub Daddy sponge--which worked well. But it's not taking off everything.

TIA{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Re: Any trick for removing burned-on gunk from a SS pan?

Put it back on the stove and deglaze it with some white vinegar.

Respected Contributor

Hi. A couple of days ago, I noticed how ugly my age-old and favorite muffin tin looked. Rather than throw it out and buy a new one, I used Soft Scrub on it with an old toothbrush (I ran it throught the dishwasher first!) and it (the muffin time) cleaned up rather well.

I hope this helps!

Valued Contributor

On 3/3/2015 faeriemoon said:

fairie-I will do this immediately! Thank you. Smiley Happy

And if it doesn't work, I'll take your recommendation, jpie, and use the toothbrush and cleaner method! Thank you!

Respected Contributor

Hi gimama,

Buy Barkeepers Friend and it will remove the burned on stains beautifully and works fast. Is also great on a stainless steel sinks and ss knives.

Below is a link for you to read about it and it is sold in drugstores, groceries, and supermarkets.

http://www.thekitchn.com/so-shiny-removing-stains-with-130261

Good Luck!

Valued Contributor

Thank you, adoreQVC. Smiley Happy I will definitely check it out. Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Barkeepers Friend or Bon Ami is what I use on my All Clad cookware. I think both work equally well. I sprinkle the powder in the pan and use a lightly wrung-out sponge with a scrubber to clean the pan.
Honored Contributor

On 3/3/2015 glmama said:
On 3/3/2015 faeriemoon said:

fairie-I will do this immediately! Thank you. Smiley Happy

And if it doesn't work, I'll take your recommendation, jpie, and use the toothbrush and cleaner method! Thank you!

You may have to rub it a bit with a utensil. (I use a wooden spoon or spatula and loosen the stuck-on stuff as the vinegar simmers.)

Valued Contributor

Fairiemoon--Just did it and it worked BEAUTIFULLY and quickly! I've been cooking forever, it seems, and I've never known to do this to pans that have stuff stuck to them! Of course, it makes perfect sense now. If you deglaze a pan to get all the goodness at the bottom into a sauce or something else, why wouldn't it work to clean a pan?{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} This may be common knowledge, and I may just look terribly silly, but I am really thrilled that I know this now!

Thanks again. It's the little things that make me very happy!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

V33262 Check this out. I recently bought it to get stains out of pans and off grills.