Esteemed Contributor

My husband bought a bunch of grapes on sale and some strawberries, I washed them good from pesticides, with dishwashing soup and rinsing it off - that's what I learned today by googling. So we plan to make wine out of them, do we stem them or not? Some say yes some say no, and do they have to be cooked, mashed in the food processor? Or do you have any ideas?

I don't have any recipe for grape wine.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi gloriajean! I guess your previous winemaking attempts were successful!

To answer your question, do a tour at several nearby wineries and see how they treat the grapes on an industrial level.

Another option is Meetups or online forums for winemakers.

I can't wait to read the results on the final product!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Frequent Contributor
The first thing I thought was take off your shoes and stomp on the grapes in a wooden vat or prisoners hiding bags of fruit to ferment. Sorry, that just popped in my head. I think you can probably find some good ideas online.
Respected Contributor

I have only made balloon wine in college- But we definitely drank it!

>

Nutrition

• 1/4ounce active dry yeast
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 12 ounces frozen juice concentrate, any flavor except citrus, thawed
  • 3 1/2quarts cold water
  • Combine the yeast, sugar and juice concentrate in a sterile gallon jug. Fill the jug the rest of the way with cold water. Shake jug to mix ingredients.
  1. Rinse out a balloon, and fit it over the opening of the jug. Poke one small needle hole in balloon. Secure the balloon with a rubber band.
  2. Place jug in a cool dark place. Within a day you will notice the balloon starting to expand. As the sugar turns to alcohol, the gasses released will fill up the balloon. When the balloon is deflated back to size; the wine is ready to drink. It takes about 6 weeks.
  3. Be sure to siphon off the top and/or strain through a coffee filter. You DO NOT want to drink the residue in the bottom of the gallon jug.
Esteemed Contributor

Balloon wine? In a jug??

I LOVE it!!!!!! I wouldn't drink it now, but I'm sure it was better than the Manichevitz in a Jug we drank!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.