Contributor

For non-experienced cooks, what brand do you recommend for these oils? You know how Ina Garten always says, "use a good oil." If you're not experienced enough to know a good oil, how do you choose? I have access to Trader Joe's and major grocers. I heard Costco has a good oil, but it's way too large an amount for my needs. Thanks for your recommendations.

Respected Contributor

Trader Joes has great oils. I use their Sicilian but any of theirs work fine. We once bought a selection of four or five (husband was a huge fan of olive oil instead of any other oil, even butter.) All of them were suitable and reasonably priced.

Honored Contributor

I try to use a California made olive oil, as earlier this year there was a big stink about how the imported olive oils are not 100% olive oil; they are cut with other types of oil which is ok except I only use olive oil or coconut oil for health reasons. I can't tell you a brand specifically and I can't even tell you if I have ever tasted a "good" OO. But I do buy the CA OO fromTrader Joes---and again can't give you a brand name but its there and you just have to look on the bottle. Its a good size bottle for under $7, I think. If you cook with it, you need an extra light olive oil as that will not degrade with the higher temps.

Esteemed Contributor

I always thought that USA made oils didn't have a standard for EV and that the imported oils did?

Honored Contributor

First, I just use EVOO for everything.

Secondly, I actually often purchase a store brand from my grocery store that is very nice. It's a West Coast chain, so not a national chain. But it's a nice, higher-end, chain so a lot of their store brand stuff is pretty nice quality.

I'm a bit picky so there are definitely generic brands I won't purchase.

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/1/2015 Snowpuppy said:

I always thought that USA made oils didn't have a standard for EV and that the imported oils did?

The US has standards for olive oil production: pure, EV and light. Look into the refining process if you are curious.

OP, the only oil I avoid is from Kroger. My go-to EVOO is Trader Joe's.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

you may want to read this article and/or buy the book EXTRA VIRGINITY. lots of great information.

Fake Olive Oil And What You Need To Know:

http://eatlocalgrown.com/article/12300-is-your-olive-oil-lying-about-its-virginity.html

also check out the website eataly.com

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor

If you have a Sur la Table near you, they have an excellent olive oil that is very reasonably priced. It's a great oil for everyday use.

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-449884/Marca+Verde+Extra+Virgin+Olive+Oil

Respected Contributor
On 3/1/2015 Campion said:

Trader Joes has great oils. I use their Sicilian but any of theirs work fine. We once bought a selection of four or five (husband was a huge fan of olive oil instead of any other oil, even butter.) All of them were suitable and reasonably priced.

I like Trader Joe's, but have not been fond of their own brands. However, I haven't tried the EVOO. Will look for it next time I go.

Respected Contributor

This is the type of EVOO I always buy, and use it for everything.

Top Grades of Olive Oil

Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Exceptional quality, aroma and taste. The oil is from the first pressing of the olives with no chemicals or hot water added during processing. Acidity up to 0.8 percent. About 70 percent of Greece's olive oil is "extra virgin."