Respected Contributor

What Is The Best Cut Of Meat For Pot Roast

I haven't made a pot roast in years and I remember when I did the meat I purchased was very stringy and I don't want to get that cut of meat again but I don't remember now what cut it was. Do you know of a cut of meat to use that is not stringy?And one that used in the crock pot gets tender? TIA

Super Contributor

Re: What Is The Best Cut Of Meat For Pot Roast

In my experience, a beef Chuck Roast or boneless Shoulder Roast works best in making Pot Roast. It's a tough cut of meat, but it is more affordable and the long, slow braising method of cooking makes it fall-apart tender. It really isn't necessary to use an expensive cut of meat for a Pot Roast. I don't know if you have a favorite recipe for making Pot Roast, there are thousands out there, but I use Tyler Florences's (Food Network) recipe called "Pot Roast with Vegetables" It takes about 3 1/2 - 4 hours and makes the most amazing flavorful Pot Roast I've ever had.

Super Contributor

I use a chuck roast but that gets stringy(but I don't mind that) So you don't want a chuck roast. I have not tried any other cuts for pot roast. But in the crockpot, the cheaper fattier cuts are better(stay moist)
Super Contributor

On 2/28/2015 javamt said: I use a chuck roast but that gets stringy(but I don't mind that) So you don't want a chuck roast. I have not tried any other cuts for pot roast. But in the crockpot, the cheaper fattier cuts are better(stay moist)

I suppose it is true, a chuck roast does get a bit "stringy" but I don't mind that either, the meat just falls apart because it gets so tender. Perhaps the OP would be happier with a Top Loin Roast or Beef Rib Eye Roast, but those are typically cooked best when oven roasted.

Here is a guide I found that describes the various cuts of beef used for roasts and the best method for cooking them. Good luck! Smile Just copy/paste the link into your browser.

http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--339/beef-pot-roasts.asp

Super Contributor

Your roast may be stringy because you are cutting it wrong. Cut your slices AGAINST the grain of the meat and see if that makes a difference.
Super Contributor

I always used a chuck roast but cooked it in the oven for about 3-4 hours until it fell apart.

Respected Contributor

Thank you everyone. I put it in the crockpot with vegetables. I hope to comes out good.

Respected Contributor

I prefer the English cut. It's really tender and tasty.
Super Contributor

On 2/28/2015 cuddlesmama said:

Thank you everyone. I put it in the crockpot with vegetables. I hope to comes out good.

Cuddlesmama, just out of curiosity, what cut of meat did you use? I hope it comes out good for you too.

Respected Contributor

Chuck cuts roast down in a flavorful gelatinous way- it was made for low and slow cooking- any cut will be stringy if not sliced again the grain (think pulled pork)- the "stringiness" is the muscle fibers which are in bundles, or "strings", and runtime length of the entire muscle, so meat naturally separates into those string, unless cut against them...