Respected Contributor

How to G-Free Mocha Ice Box Cake by Ina Garten, HELP?

I want to make the Mocha Ice Box Cake by Ina Garten, but need to make it G-Free due to my nephew that has a wheat allergy. I know you can just sub the regular chocolate chip cookies for G-Free ones, but how will those react to being in such a moist environment? Will they react differently than regular ones? Does anyone know anything about using G-Free cookies in these kinds of recipes? All advice is welcomed....I also know not to use Kahlua in it for the kids.

/></p> <p><span style= 2 cups cold heavy cream
12 ounces Italian mascarpone cheese
½ cup sugar
¼ cup Kahlúa liqueur
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, such as Pernigotti
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 (8-ounce) packages Tate’s Bake Shop chocolate chip cookies
Shaved semisweet chocolate, for garnish

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the heavy cream, mascarpone, sugar, Kahlúa, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and vanilla. Mix on low speed to combine and then slowly raise the speed, until it forms firm peaks.

To assemble the cake, arrange chocolate chip cookies flat in an 8-inch springform pan, covering the bottom as much as possible. (I break some cookies to fill in the spaces.) Spread a fifth of the mocha whipped cream evenly over the cookies. Place another layer of cookies on top, lying flat and touching, followed by another fifth of the cream. Continue layering cookies and cream until there are 5 layers of each, ending with a layer of cream. Smooth the top, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.

Run a small sharp knife around the outside of the cake and remove the sides of the pan. Sprinkle the top with the chocolate, cut in wedges, and serve cold

Trusted Contributor

Re: How to G-Free Mocha Ice Box Cake by Ina Garten, HELP?

I don't know about this particular recipe,but I substitute gluten-free ginger snaps in my sauerbraten sauce all the time. No one notices the difference. I use Trader Joe's cookies. Btw,Trader Joe's makes a delicious gluten-free crunchy chocolate chip cookie. Not many in the package,but like home made! I am the one with the wheat allergy....??
Respected Contributor

Sorry, no Trader Joe's down here. I have WalMart and Harvey's grocery stores. I'll have to go with the cookies they have. I've been reading people's reviews on Food Network. Someone did use G-Free cookies and said it was great. I will try it as a trifle before I do it as a cake or I may just keep it as a trifle for the easy of doing it. Others said they subbed chocolate waffers for the cookies and it wasn't as sweet.

I wish I had even a Kroger or Publix, let alone a Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods.

Trusted Contributor

I don't think there would be a difference. Usually there is a slight difference in ingredients in gf cookies. Most have a little xanthan gum to hold things together. Good luck.
Honored Contributor

Most gluten free items are not so great tasting, but I have to admit that g-free cookies are pretty good. I have tried several varieties and have no complaints.

You can even make g-free chocolate chip cookies at home with a store bought mix sold by Betty Crocker.

You can use g-free cookies with no worries in your recipe listed above. No one will be the wiser.

Also be aware that some vanilla extract contains gluten.

You are a very sweet Aunt for making this for your newphew.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for all the advice. My sister and I wondered if the different flours in G-Free cookies would react to the ice box presentation. I've done more searching of comments on food network and found that plenty have done it G-Free with great success! I didn't want it to be horrible for everyone. At least the G-Free cookies are just as good as the others. we use the Pillsbury G-Free pizza crust and cookie dough, but the pizza crust is meh, the cookies are good.

I will probably do this as a trifle since many on the comments have spoken of how they get only 3 layers in a 9" spring form pan or the layers were pretty like in her pics. The trifle will be pretty and easy to serve!