Respected Contributor

What's everyone's favorite freezer meal?

Recently purchased a small freezer and looking forward to making doubles of things and freezing them (already did lasagna and chili).

Wondering if I can do a chicken pot pie and freeze it - and before or after baking? (That's my biggest issue with freezing things.) How about stuffed peppers?

What is your favorite meal to freeze?

Denise
Honored Contributor

Re: What's everyone's favorite freezer meal?

Homemade soup in individual serving sizes.

Valued Contributor

I've made pot pies in advance, but I don't bake them. My other favorites are homemade pizza. I make the dough and bake it in a round pan, let it cool, add sauce, cheese, toppings and then freeze. I love making lasagna for the freezer (Whenever I cook something, I double or triple the recipe and then freeze the extra).

Occasional Contributor

Not a complete meal, but I love to cook up a big batch of chicken thighs when they're on sale for .99 a pound. Throw them in the crock pot for a few hours till the meat falls off the bone. Chop the meat and freeze portions for soup, tacos, chicken and rice, Bbq chicken.
Valued Contributor

Soup always gets portioned and goes into the freezer. I've recently started putting a bowl of soup in the freezer then popping the frozen soup out of the bowl and into a large freezer bag. I repeat, adding each frozen serving to the freezer bag until I've frozen all I intend for the freezer. When ready to use I just take out what I need. Takes up less storage room than using individual containers.

I also make meatloaf muffins and mac and cheese muffins for the freezer and just take out what I need for a quick meal.

Super Contributor

I made a large tray of stuffed peppers and only used red ones - much nicer... They froze very well and put 4 pepper half's in each container... Great meal on a cold night...

Regular Contributor

We freeze stuffed peppers every year when we have peppers from the garden. I cut the peppers in half, stuffed with uncooked lean ground beef, onion, rice & egg mixture & freeze. I place the frozen peppers in a crockpot with either canned tomatoes or tomatoes we have frozen & cook all day. The texture of the peppers is affected, but they are yummy!
Frequent Contributor

Freezer meals are a big time saver in my house too. I pick-up multi-packs of disposable pans at the dollar store often times too, then double (or more) a recipe when making dinner. Some of our favorites are:

- Lasagna roll-ups

- Meatloaf

- Soups, stews, chili

- Sloppy joe, lentil sloppy joe, or meat sauce for hot dogs

- Filling for chicken and biscuits made from homemade stock, veggies, and fresh chicken. Defrost and add either biscuits or rice -- could be served are a pot pie too.

- Sweet and sour veggies, or stir fry type dishes ready to toss in the pan

I also make larger batches of rice in the rice cooker and freeze in dinner size portions. They are much less expensive than the frozen rice at the store and only take 2-3 minutes in the microwave to defrost at mealtime.

Honored Contributor

Can't beat it, as long as you have a vacuum sealer!

Mine are all probably pretty boring. I do make a large lasagne (17x12), cut that into squares, freeze each one and then vacuum seal them individually so they stay pristine.

I also do soups, stews, spaghetti sauce, and whatever seems good. When I bake a ham I make several packets of that to vac seal and freeze. I do the same with turkey. I only buy a turkey once a year but this way I can have turkey whenever I want (I love turkey!).

I will also freeze and then vacuum seal pieces of special cakes and such. Some things, like cakes and breads, need to be frozen before vacuum sealing so I will wrap individual pieces in cellophane, stack them in L&L containers, and freeze. Then I take them out the next day and get them all vacuum sealed, and back in the freezer they go! Smiley Happy

BUT, if I didn't have a vacuum sealer I wouldn't do any of that. Except for dry goods (which I keep in L&L containers in the freezers), I would not store these foods without them being vacuum sealed. The quality of the food is very important to me.

Trusted Contributor

My homemade chili.

My homemade red pasta sauce. (I use this to make a lasagna)

I need to make some pasta sauce though, all out.. I recently made a big batch of chili and have 3 frozen bags of it left over.