Contributor

new cookware time, please help.

After 20 years my circulon needs to be replaced. Don't really want circulon again. The price and the "non-stick" or lack of have me looking a different direction. Price and performance are important. When it comes to price I don't plan to exceed my mortgage payment. I really believe that if you can cook, you don't need silly expensive. What are your favorite finds?

Respected Contributor

Re: new cookware time, please help.

Dear fritzee:

I use stainless steel pans. I have one nonstick small frying pan, but I seldom use it. I have never liked nonstick pans and glad that I didn't since they pose such fume hazards, etc.

I have individual pieces that I picked up at discount at Tuesday Mornings, Home Goods, and even one of the dollar stores years ago. I have two sizes of the made in USA Lodge cast iron fry pans and a Dutch oven--not the enamel coated ones--those are made overseas.

I have a set of Wolfgang Puck pans that I bought about three years ago and they have held up nicely and it included a sort of wok with a handle that I use very often. I purchased separately a stackable stainless steel multi-cooker of his and it works very well.

With stainless steel you have to be patient--you put your pan on the stove and heat it on low to medium before adding your oil or butter. You never have to use the highest heat settings unless you are boiling water for pasta or potatoes or boiled eggs. You'll find all types of info on the internet about the best way to keep your stainless steel sets cooking well and looking well. Good luck and have fun with the hunt. If you want to cook a steak on high heat there is a French pan called deBuyer. A set of these frying pans, or at least one large sized one, is on my wish list. My daughter has a set and they do such a great job of searing meat before roasting or doing a steak on the cooktop.

Valued Contributor

Re: new cookware time, please help.

Fritzee,

Do you really need and use all the different sizes that come in most set configurations? I find that I tend to use the same pots and pans over and over while others just sit in the cabinet taking up space. Although open stock is increasingly difficult to find that is the route I would go, picking pieces I will really use.

Much of my collection is from Wolfgang Puck's Bistro Elite line--stainless steel.