Super Contributor

Saw frozen catfish nuggets that were from USA in Sav a Lot and I was wondering what is the best way to prepare these skinless pieces as I only used fillets before?

Also what breed of cat would be closest to the mannerisms of a dog?

Honored Contributor

I don't eat catfish, but a Maine Coon is probably the kind of cat you're looking for.

Valued Contributor

I also do not cook catfish. I did have some given to me and I used in a stew/chowder.

Interesting note on the closest cat with mannerisms of a dog. I have never really thought of it, although I prefer cats to dogs. Several years ago dh picked up a stray cat and decided it was to be his "dog." The thing went with him to work and in the truck with him just like a dog, except he would curl up on the dash. That is until the cat figured he could open the electric windows while the truck was heating up and get out on his own. And then, like most cats who are allowed indoor/outdoor status he moved on one day to his next home.

Valued Contributor

I'm not much of a fish eater so can't help you there.

We have 5 cats, 2 are maine coons, a male and a female and 3 run of the mill heinz 57 cats. They all act like dogs it's all in how you interact with them. We have 2 cats that will fetch their fuzzy little mouse toys and bring them to us, we throw them down the hall and they go retrieve them and we do it until they get tired of it. We have a cat that follows my husband everywhere, they are inseparable. All 5 cats get showers once a year to freshen their smell up. They aren't allowed outside period. We don't take them anywhere in the car unless it's on a trip for an extended stay or to their vet appointments, other than that they are normal cats that lay around and run and play.

Respected Contributor

It appears none of us are crazy about catfish, but we have our opinions about cats! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

I vote for bengal cats. We had two and they followed us around like dogs, greeted people at the door like dogs and one was smart as a whip (the other was our "doofus"). Miss them every day.

Denise
Occasional Contributor

Totally agree with gulf coast girl - cats interact with you the way you treat them. I have five cats-all of them were born feral. I trapped them in my backyard. They were screaming and rocking the trap all the way to the vet. Had them spayed/neutered, got shots and put them in room to recuperate and tame them. It was not an overnight project but they are now between 4 yrs old and 19 yrs old and they follow me from room to room, greet me at the door. sit on the couch with me, sleep with me, etc. exactly like a dog would do.

While it is your choice what cat to pick, please remember that there are numerous loving cats that are available through the ASPCA and rescue associations that need loving homes.

Honored Contributor

I don't eat 'nuggets' of nothing I've read what they're made of. I stick with the better cuts/selections of catfish.

Frequent Contributor

If the nuggets are 100 catfish and not processed thy should be good. catfish is the heartiest of the game fish meats and takes to freezing really well.

Any cat can be like a dog. As I type this my new 70lb Shepherd and my 12lb orange long hair are tearing around here trying to kill each other, just like 2 dogs. We have 5 cats and 2 dogs and all the cats but 1 behave just like the dogs. If you interacts with a cat from the time it's a kitten and not treat it like it's part of the furniture they will interact just like a dog. when someone comes over my dogs are at their feet and my cats are on the back of the chair or on the cat tree greeting them.

Large breeds like Main Coon tend to be a little easier as size helps them feel secure. Some of the exotic breed as well but you do have to deal with excess energy and outrageous curiosity.

My experience, though, has been if you are looking to really have the best experience with a cat, look for people who place wilds kittens and try to get them right around 8 to 10 weeks. Wild kittens are born in a dependent environment but are also more exposed to the outside world. They tend to be very brave and intelligent. I have found a completely feral colony and withing an hour had the kittens crawling on me. Wild kittens potty train much quicker. I have actually never had a miss with one. One thing to consider as well is if you don't already have others, get two. it save a lot in wear and tear on your and your stuff.

The next best choice is pound/shelter or rescue cats. Sometimes cats that have had a bad time of it turn out to be the best companions. Thing about shelter cats is it's not the ones that put on the best show when you go in but the ones that really check you out. The ones that hang back a little in the cage before they decide YOU are worth the effort to come to.

Honored Contributor

I don't eat catfish but I have a part Maine Coon cat that thought he was a dog....But if you are talking in terms of being more outgoing and interactive with people , the cat that I had that acted like that was a part lynx point siamese. She was smart and very personable. And my aunt had a siamese (the old style instead of the sleek modern body type)....her cat was very smart and even figured out how to open the cabinets to steal a few extra pieces of cat food....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I bought a bag of frozen catfish at Walmart a while back. Thought I'd try them out to see what they tasted like. Nasty, awful, gross. So I cooked them all up and put them outside for the 8 feral cats to eat. They didn't want anything to do with it either. It all went in the trash.