Esteemed Contributor

The Great British Baking Show

I've really enjoyed watching this rather low key baking competition. Last night's "bake a three layer pie" assignment blew me over. OK...how in the heck are they going to achieve the goal? This, I felt, was the most difficult task to date. However, I was also taken aback by efforts to create a baked pear wrapped in strips of puff pastry. An extremely difficult episode for sure.

Can't wait for next week. Am going to check out some of the recipes, once I get over this S/I flu.

Happy baking!

Honored Contributor

Re: The Great British Baking Show

Hey SF! Sorry to hear you're ailing. Hope you are feeling better really soon.

I started to watch this show when it first came into my radar and now I can't even remember why I didn't continue. D'oh! CRS getting worse. Smiley Happy

Take care!

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/2/2015 chickenbutt said:

Hey SF! Sorry to hear you're ailing. Hope you are feeling better really soon.

I started to watch this show when it first came into my radar and now I can't even remember why I didn't continue. D'oh! CRS getting worse. Smiley Happy

Take care!

Hi chickenbutt,

It might be the day and time that's got you a'dither. Here on the west coast, it's on at 7 p.m. on Sundays. Previous to catching an advertisement for this show, I wasn't paying much attention to TV at 7 p.m. and actully missed the first 2 or 3 episodes. (I really miss having the old TV Guide.)

Honored Contributor

Could be. I'm in the Pacific Time Zone also and Sundays are pretty full from about 6pm on for both of my Tivos.

Honored Contributor

On 2/2/2015 sfnative said:

I've really enjoyed watching this rather low key baking competition. Last night's "bake a three layer pie" assignment blew me over. OK...how in the heck are they going to achieve the goal? This, I felt, was the most difficult task to date. However, I was also taken aback by efforts to create a baked pear wrapped in strips of puff pastry. An extremely difficult episode for sure.

Can't wait for next week. Am going to check out some of the recipes, once I get over this S/I flu.

Happy baking!

That was last week's episode. (episode 5)

This week they did European cakes. (episode 6)

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/2/2015 lulu2 said:
On 2/2/2015 sfnative said:

Happy baking!

That was last week's episode. (episode 5)

This week they did European cakes. (episode 6)

Well, it seems our PBS station is a week behind, as they advertise the program broadcasting on Sundays at 7 p.m. and the pie episode was the one just shown. Will definitely look forward to the European cakes. Thanks for the heads-up.

Valued Contributor

I just discovered this show a couple of weeks ago, it is entertaining and educational. Yay for public TV!

Frequent Contributor

I love this show. Came across it by accident but now I'm hooked. I like the challenges presented to the contestants but also like the kindness of the judges. I'm turned off by some of the Food Network competitions, where the judges can be downright nasty in their critiques.
Respected Contributor

I love this show too. I like it much better than the cooking competitions shows that we get on Food Network, etc. Being English, I love my Sunday night television shows. The Baking show, then Downton Abbey, then Grantchester. Thankfully, they are repeated later in the week in case I have to work Sunday.

Contributor

I also enjoy this show. So nice not to have a screaming and clapping audience or contestants acting like they are auditioning for a showbiz career! I love the interaction with the judges/hosts. The dark haired woman is a hoot!