Respected Contributor

Milk Types in Hot Chocolate ?????

OK.. I'm trying to go dairy free because I drink about 2 gallons of milk a week, skim that is. What kinds of milk can I use in my hot chocolate? Almond, Rice, Lactaid, Coconut, Soy?????? I won't be drinking it like I do with 99% of my milk, just plain, ice cold milk. I'm picky about the flavor of my milk, which is why I use organic skim, but still.....flavored is not for me for drinking other than as a hot chocolate. Thanks for your advise.

Valued Contributor

Re: Milk Types in Hot Chocolate ?????

I use almond milk to make my hot chocolate, but I'm not a milk drinker.

Frequent Contributor

Silk almond milk or Silk cashew milk http://silk.com/products/original-cashewmilk

Trusted Contributor

I also recommend almond milk. To me, soy milk has a funny after taste. Almond milk does as well, but the taste fits better with hot chocolate IMO.

Why the switch? With two gallons of organic skim consumed each week, the alternative milks will be much more expensive. Why not just cut down on total consumption?

ETA: My grocery store just started carrying Lactaid Chocolate so that's what I use for DH's hot chocolate. It's low fat, not no fat, but he's a tall drink of water, so it doesn't bother him. There are chocolate flavored almond milks as well.

Super Contributor

I use almond milk unsweetened
Respected Contributor

On 1/31/2015 Sammijo said:

I also recommend almond milk. To me, soy milk has a funny after taste. Almond milk does as well, but the taste fits better with hot chocolate IMO.

Why the switch? With two gallons of organic skim consumed each week, the alternative milks will be much more expensive. Why not just cut down on total consumption?

ETA: My grocery store just started carrying Lactaid Chocolate so that's what I use for DH's hot chocolate. It's low fat, not no fat, but he's a tall drink of water, so it doesn't bother him. There are chocolate flavored almond milks as well.

The casein in milk may be causing some health problems for my thyroid medication, so I'm going to see if things improve without milk, which is my primary source of all things dairy. I'm not allergic to it or have lactose issues, so the only other ingredient is the casein.

I've got unflavored almond milk in the fridge, so I'll try that tonight. Milk is just my comfort food/drink of choice especially with a hot cookie/brownie/pastry. I grew up drinking the real thing from the cow, so store bought is not the same, but organic is pretty close. You are right about the cost, so switching will probably do away with all milk for me except for the almond in my cereal. I'm really picky about what I drink, though a co-worker swears that Lactaid tastes just like milk. I can taste the difference between whole, 2, 1 and skim, so Lactaid probably won't work, but I will try it just to say I tried.

Respected Contributor

I may also try the chocolate for my sweet fix because I can't have fructose without great stomach issues. That seems to be the ONLY food that I am unable to handle/allergic to. I don't absorb fructose, so it causes intestinal issues and blood sugar issues since I don't eat much sugar, sugar, which oddly enough, I can have.

Honored Contributor

I have been off dairy for about 3 years now and currently, I drink almond milk and I use it in my hot choc too. I try to buy the brands that don't contain carrageenan as that can aggravate inflammation. Most brands of ALL dairy products contain it; cottage cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, even whipping cream and 1/2 n 1/2. I found that Albertsons and Haggen store brands don't have it at least the almond milk anyway. Just something I look for.